Getting a 120 Galon tank this weekend, need ideas

Kris39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to start a Predator Saltwater tank and wanted to know what you guys would stock it with so I can get some ideas.
Thanks.

Definitely thinking about getting:

A Niger Trigger
A Panther Grouper

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both those fish will get too large for 120g in no time. They both grow quickly, a niger will get to his true max size even in captivity, and a panther grouper really shouldn't even be sold in the hobby trade.

Look more into dwarf/medium bodied lions, dwarf angels, small tangs, foxface, marine betta, pebble toothed eels.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re set on a grouper any fish in the roundhead family would be a good substitute. It’s usually hard to find any of them besides the marine betta, but some of the other ones are more grouper like in appearance and behavior.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the Marine Betta. Must have fish for my own tank and it’s going to be among the first fish I’m putting in, with the other two being my Ocellaris pair.

Lionfish, the smaller ones that get up to 8” will do. Make sure you can feed it though, it’s best to find a specimen at the LFS that’s taking at least some prepared (non-live) foods. I’m not too familiar with Lionfish but their health will deteriorate if you cannot ensure they’re eating well and eating a steady diet.

Small Tangs-Yellow Tang, Tomini, White Tail Bristletooth, Kole Eye Yellow, Square Tail Bristletooth, MAYBE a Purple Tang (Zebrasoma genus like the Yellow Tang but gets up to 10” while the YT gets up to 8”)

Foxface-Foxface Lo, One Spot Foxface, Blue Spotted Foxface

Dwarf Angels-Any of them (genus Centropyge) will do. Maybe even a smaller medium-sized angel like a Xanthurus Cream, Bellus? (Not sure)

What about a Hawkfish or two? The Flame, Longnose, Falco, and Coral / Spotted are my favorites. Some of the other ones get too aggressive. The Flame is by far the most peaceful, I think.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the majority of groupers need tanks that are hundreds of gallons. Better left to public aquariums or guys like this one guy on YouTube who has a 20,000 gal (I think) in his house. No, more like a mansion. Shaquille O’Neal keeps groupers in his home, but then, he’s Shaq.

The only grouper-like fish that’s community friendly for the most part and OK with the majority of home aquariums that are 75 gallons-300 gallons would be the Comet. It’s smaller than quite a few tangs and Foxfaces. It’s around the same size as a One Spot / Blue Spotted Foxface.

epatrick70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the Marine Betta. Must have fish for my own tank and it’s going to be among the first fish I’m putting in, with the other two being my Ocellaris pair.

Lionfish, the smaller ones that get up to 8” will do. Make sure you can feed it though, it’s best to find a specimen at the LFS that’s taking at least some prepared (non-live) foods. I’m not too familiar with Lionfish but their health will deteriorate if you cannot ensure they’re eating well and eating a steady diet.

Small Tangs-Yellow Tang, Tomini, White Tail Bristletooth, Kole Eye Yellow, Square Tail Bristletooth, MAYBE a Purple Tang (Zebrasoma genus like the Yellow Tang but gets up to 10” while the YT gets up to 8”)

Foxface-Foxface Lo, One Spot Foxface, Blue Spotted Foxface

Dwarf Angels-Any of them (genus Centropyge) will do. Maybe even a smaller medium-sized angel like a Xanthurus Cream, Bellus? (Not sure)

What about a Hawkfish or two? The Flame, Longnose, Falco, and Coral / Spotted are my favorites. Some of the other ones get too aggressive. The Flame is by far the most peaceful, I think.
He said "Predator"....

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said "Predator"....

@Zionas gave the best suggestions for a 120g. The only true predator tank you could have at that size would be a lion/scorp combo. A lone toadfish, and anglers cant even cohabitate and make poor community tankmates

Lionfish and bettas make great true predator additions. Most people run more of an aggressive tank rather than a predator tank. A true predator tank feeds live food, and most people don't.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back