Getting a hob skimmer. Which one?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jekyl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Joined
Jan 15, 2019
Messages
12,734
Reaction score
16,780
Location
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaking down and getting a skimmer for my 90 gallon. Was going to get the reef octo 100. Any other suggestions? Is the octo plug and play? Do I need to get separate pumps? Any info would be appreciated. Going to order one tonight either way.
 
I think you're making the right choice. The only HOB Skimmer I've used was the CPR BakPak, and it worked pretty well. But it looks like the one you're looking at is the better option. I don't think you'll need anything, just the skimmer. I ended up getting a few pieces of tubing that I stuck onto the return nozzle to make the pump quieter.
 
Deltec. They are expensive but the blow all other hang on's out of the water. I ran the RO for a few years and although it does good at times - most of the time it either wasn't skimming or was skimming way too wet. Also keep in mind you need a plan for for overflow (particularly with the RO).
 
Sometimes I've read to get a skimmer slightly larger than what your tank is rated for. I have the RO 200
 
Right now I only have 3 fish and don't plan on more for quite a while. I recently took over the company I've worked at for the past 10 years. Money is going to be much easier to come by and I plan on a major overhaul in the future. The HOB skimmer I'm getting now will only be temporary. Eventually I'll be doing a HOB overflow and sump system. At that time I'll be buying the things I don't plan on replacing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new