getting a new toadstool!

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all, So a friend of mine recently fragged his green toadstool, and was kind enough to do all the hard work by getting it seated to a rock for me. So I have never had one before. How fast do they grow? I have read that they put out some sort of protective film or something to keep other corals at bay. Is this something to worry about with them? Just curious what other peoples thoughts from here are on these corals.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all, So a friend of mine recently fragged his green toadstool, and was kind enough to do all the hard work by getting it seated to a rock for me. So I have never had one before. How fast do they grow? I have read that they put out some sort of protective film or something to keep other corals at bay. Is this something to worry about with them? Just curious what other peoples thoughts from here are on these corals.
Depends on lights and nutrients, they can grow fairly quickly especially compared to non-soft coral. In my own experience they generally kept pace with colt coral especially while getting established so slowish by softie standards. As far as their mucous.. just dont let your flow stagnate, not so much about flow volume as it is about eliminating dead spots, and you might want to run carbon to protect other corals. I never did that and the only result I saw from their chemical warfare was my red/green maze brain grew very very slowly.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on lights and nutrients, they can grow fairly quickly especially compared to non-soft coral. In my own experience they generally kept pace with colt coral especially while getting established so slowish by softie standards. As far as their mucous.. just dont let your flow stagnate, not so much about flow volume as it is about eliminating dead spots, and you might want to run carbon to protect other corals. I never did that and the only result I saw from their chemical warfare was my red/green maze brain grew very very slowly.
Sounds good. Thank you for the reply.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. That's exciting! Like said above, they shed every so often, and they need enough flow to properly get it off of their tissue. Growth rate really depends like said above about conditions in the tank, but they grow fairly quick and large.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. That's exciting! Like said above, they shed every so often, and they need enough flow to properly get it off of their tissue. Growth rate really depends like said above about conditions in the tank, but they grow fairly quick and large.
Yeah, it's that "large" word that has my attention :rolleyes: I will just have to keep an eye on it and see how it goes. I have plenty of strategic flow in my tank with 3 power heads and a wave maker. So it sounds like I should be good in that area at least.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's that "large" word that has my attention :rolleyes: I will just have to keep an eye on it and see how it goes. I have plenty of strategic flow in my tank with 3 power heads and a wave maker. So it sounds like I should be good in that area at least.
Yes, they can get up to 20in. When they get to large for your tank, frag it! You can have a toadstool money making machine!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back