Getting a Potter's Wrasse to eat

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always got my wrasses to eat within the first day of introducing them to the tank. Once they are first introduced to my tank, I soak mysis and brine in saltwater from the tank, add 5-10mL of selcon and garlic and let soak for 10-15 min. I honestly think selcon works better for enticing finicky eaters over garlic, plus selcon adds more nutrients.
After they eat that for a couple of days I start soaking pellets in with the shrimp garlic and selcon, and feed it all at the same time. Both my potters and leopard wrasse eat just about anything I throw in tank now. They also love sheets of Nori (seaweed) and will graze on it all day.

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1st food that all 3 of my leopard wrasses ate was frozen cyclops, and after a few days they started eating mysis too.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have tried mysis, emerald entree, blood worms, krill, frozen brine shrimp. I usually mix a combination of these and put them in an old medicine bottle that I keep in my fridge. Since adding the potters I have tried adding kents garlic extreme. I usually add 8 drops of garlic extreme should I be adding more than this?

Is krill similar to frozen cyclops? Should I be trying to give the foods to the tank separately? I will try some nori on a clip that I have.

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have tried mysis, emerald entree, blood worms, krill, frozen brine shrimp. I usually mix a combination of these and put them in an old medicine bottle that I keep in my fridge. Since adding the potters I have tried adding kents garlic extreme. I usually add 8 drops of garlic extreme should I be adding more than this?

Is krill similar to frozen cyclops? Should I be trying to give the foods to the tank separately? I will try some nori on a clip that I have.

Cyclops are small zooplankton, so might be natural food source for Leopard wrasses.

Frozen Fish Food for Aquarium Fish: Ocean Nutrition Cyclops Frozen Food

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21995http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21995

Aquarium Fish Foods & Feeding: San Francisco Bay Brand Cyclops

Last edited:
OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BLOOD WORMS!!!, She finally likes something! Today she ate about 6 or 7 of them, it seems like she chokes on them and spits it out enough times to soften it up enough to swallow. I will be picking up some frozen cyclops tomorrow, and I hope she likes that as well. I will probably give her more blood worms tonight before she goes to bed.

Time it took her to start eating frozen: 2 weeks and 2 days

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that you found something it'll eat finally. Good thing it was grazing in the tank considering how long it took him to come around!

Alcedok9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to add a note to your thread. We had an awsome potters and due to a freak accident lost it.. I am looking for another if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks!

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept 3 leopard wrasses so far- 2 regular and one Blue Star. I lost the first leopard and blue star with a bout of marine velvet and they died in quarentine. They were both eating frozen before that move though. My newest addition Ive had for about 3 months and had it picking on pods but started feeding frozen mysis and he took to that after a week or two. Now he eats Marine Cuisine and Mysis regularly. I think most people get in trouble when they dont have a pod population to get them to start eating from the start.

The first two were in my 180 and this one is in my 375.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I learned a lot through my experience. As an update mine is doing great! She eats flake, blood worms, and I feed her pods from my culture twice a week. She seems to be getting much more colorful.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back