Getting an anemone tank established?

  • Thread starter Thread starter flsalty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2017
Messages
1,233
Reaction score
1,722
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plans are in the works for an anemone only tank. It will probably be a 55 or 60g (75 is too big for the space). The plan is to only have some various anemones that can get along, along with the various fish, crabs, and shrimp that host them.

I would prefer to get an anemone acclimated in the tank before introducing whatever species that goes with it. I think it's better for the anemone if it is established in the tank before it gets "invaded" by a fish. Clowns seem to occupy an anemone even if it is on death's door...lol.

So...since it's best for the anemones if the tank is established for at least a year, what should I do in the meantime? I mean, the tank isn't going to get all that established with no bioload. Should I just keep it as a FOWLR until it's ready, then sell or trade off the fish when it's time.

Anybody else have a tank like what I'm thinking of doing?
 
Keep non-aggressive fish such as chromis and gobies in the tank who will have very little to no interaction whatsoever with an anemone. That way you can get your anemones happy while also establishing the tank with a good bio-load.
 
I'm not an expert but I did FOWLR (heavy bio-load species) for over year then convert it to reef tank or anemone tank, I have no problem or issues to keep anemone happy.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new