Getting back in! 48x30x24 155 build

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had to take down my 300 DD due to high humidity and mold in my basement. about 5 years ago. My basement bathroom had mold growing on the walls. I ended up gutting the bathroom and found mold growing behind the walls. it wasn't all just because of the tank but it didn't help. 75% of my basement is finished and pretty tight. I didn't account for humidity reduction. Wife got sick from the mold so the tank had to go.

I am getting back into the hobby after a good long break. I see that a lot has changed and I am starting this post for suggestions as I build my 155. I am looking for suggestions for lighting, Turf scrubbers and general function. This build will include humidity reduction. sump and tank will have covers. I will use exhaust fans to vent.

Tank:
The new build will be built into a bar. Last weekend I ordered the tank from Planet Aquariums. 48x30x24 with a center overflow and a black background. The tank build will take 8 to 10 weeks. I think the 30" width will be awesome to aquascape, especially from the side view. I want this tank to be highly automated.

Skimmer:

Ordered a Bubble King double cone 200 from BRS. It will be delivered 10/6

Sump:
I was looking at Synergy, GEO and Advanced aquatics. GEO was 20 weeks out on build. I was leaning towards getting the

GEO SU46R-PRO-PLUS

I was going to have it customized. I didn't want a fuge attached as i plan to run a turf scrubber. with shipping and having coves made it would have been north of $1700

Synergy looks like a good sump but ended up choosing Advanced aquatics.

It is will be white PVC with red trim. 42x21x15. Good price and free shipping 6 to 8 weeks build time.

REF#: S150 - PVC/Acrylic Hybrid Sump (10 Sizes) – Advanced Acrylics, Inc.

I expect this will be a slow build. I hope to have water in it by February. I plan to have SPS and LPS.

This will be an apex controlled tank-. I see there are other controllers out there so and experience is welcome.

Up in the air on lights. LED for sure

I am think MP40's for flow, but open to suggestions

GEO Clac reactor??

IMG_1493_zps4622b603.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Finally starting to get everything in to start this build. The Tank from planet Aquarium us being delivered tomorrow. 2 weeks early! Basement remodel is wrapping up. New floor , paint and a bar where the tank will be installed . I had 2 new circuits ran and installed a Vent right above the tank. It will be controlled by EVE to monitor Humidity and My Apple Home kit. My 300 gallon caused a lot of damage with mold. This new build will have covers on the sump and All sources of open water will be addressed. I ran a line from outside to bring in fresh air for the skimmer to help with PH/O2 levels

bar tank home.jpg remodel.jpg vent.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
RODI and UV. I ordered 2 white 50 gallon containers for water storage. I also plan to us DOS for automatic water changes via the Apex . I debated if I should go with the 25 watt UV or just bite the bullet and get the 57Watt. I went with the 57 watt since I am sure later I would regret not getting it

Attachments

• rodi-UV.jpg
    rodi-UV.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The Apex.. this tank will be completely automated. I was able to find a used WXM to control MP40's. I will have to downgrade the firmware to make them work. I know all about Mobius but I prefer to see everything in one pain of glass! Also decided to get the Trident. I plan to control levels with a 2nd DOS

Attachments

• Apex gear.jpg
    Apex gear.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My sump and 4 part Dosing chamber from advanced acrylics should be delivered in the next week or 2. Sump is 42x21x15 (57 gallons)

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Dosing container.jpg
    Dosing container.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Emptied my wallet on Ecotech stuff
Made changes already.

traded in the 2 blues for 3 pros. I though that the blues were just to blue. I like the pros better. I went with 3 because I have a 30" wide tank and I don't think 2 would do it.. My tank doesn't have a center brace so nothing to block the light. I teally struggle decided between the Pro's and the AI 64. really nice lights. I heard the Ecotech would have a Wifi firmware coming and i have more options to add a 4th in need be. I considered 2 AI 64's but it was cheaper to get 3 Radon 15 pros.

Also took back the Ecotech DC return pump. I will be running a manifold. I have read several opinion about running valves on DC pumps and having a controller is just another thing to break. I went with a HY10000. should last for years and years

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Following your build closely since I have a similar sized 49.5"x31"x23" eurobraced tank on the way. How heavy is your tank, can you lift and move it with two people?

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nice tank! Following your build closely since I have a similar sized 49.5"x31"x23" eurobraced tank on the way. How heavy is your tank, can you lift and move it with two people?
If i had to guess its around 350ish pounds. 2 younger guys can probably move it, but we managed with 3. the width makes bulky to move.

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I put the tank on the stand to check level with weight on it. Going to make a change to it. Wife suggested the that tank be level with the counters. we are using butcher block and It will probably look better.. now is the time to make the change! The PVC in the wall is a wire chase for the lighting wires

the tank is also recessed into the wall to make up for the 30"'. left enough space to reach back to get to my MP40's

tank on stand.jpg

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand looks great. It looks like you used 2x6's?

I am looking at the same tank and was thinking about the internal overflow although I think they make plumbing more complicated. May I ask what the footprint is of the internal overflow?

thanks,

Bob

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The stand looks great. It looks like you used 2x6's?

I am looking at the same tank and was thinking about the internal overflow although I think they make plumbing more complicated. May I ask what the footprint is of the internal overflow?

thanks,

Bob
I have ran external and internal overflows. I cant say either is better. the overflow is 6" x15

stand is 2x6 and 2x4

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Decided to rebuild the stand and change up the plan a little bit. Originally I wanted to raise the tank up a few more inches for viewing but I couldn't get it to look right. Between Dimensional lumber for the stand and a not so level concrete basement floor The tank wasn't perfectly level and it just didn't look right. My wife suggested that I put the tank on the counter top. We are using Butcher block which is 1.5" think so it is still at a decent viewing Hight.

Its dead level now! hopefully tomorrow I can get the ship lap finished and then the island done so I can finally start working on the tank!

Attachments

• new stand1.jpg
    new stand1.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 124
  • New Stand 2.jpg
    New Stand 2.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 111
  • island.jpg
    island.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 104

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back