Getting Back Into Hobby

wilkINkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Looking at getting back into the hobby after 12 years or so of a break. I used to have a 90g with 55g sump that my cousin helped me with most of it. I got a parasite off of some live rock I bought and it spread like wildfire which led me to selling everything lol. Looks like a lot has changed in terms of technology.

I am wanting to do a mixed reef tank with sump. Couple ideas I'm kicking around below, and my concerns with both. Open to any and all suggestions. Doing all my research prior to buying anything.

- Pro Clear Rimless 150 - I like the looks of rimless a lot. I am concerned I'm not going to like the sump though as I want to include a refuge. Is there room for refuge? Considering going with this setup but building my own sump or buy a different one.

- 75 or 90 gallon traditional with wooden stand/canopy. 40 breeder or 55 gallon DIY sump. Possibly buy a RedFlex Reef Sump.

Wanting to add in as much automation & smart devices as practical. Couple things that I have seen that I'm wanting to do this time around that I never did in the past nor have any experience with; Dosers, ATO, Controller, anything else I might not know of that makes the tank better and easier to maintain :).

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fleece roller is a huge time saving tool. No more changing filter socks. It usually requires a special sump, but you could also try to make one

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome …
Automation?
Watch those phone apps, they can multiple on ya… Right now I already have to warp drive between Neptune and Red Sea Universes…I have a non working MXM module that supposedly eliminated/integrated Mobius stuff into APEX, but alas I need 256k on my phone just to run my tank

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t like the sump check out the All In One (aio) tanks.

WaterBox is one manufacturer for example.

You could even get one and use one of the compartments for a fuge.

Just an idea.

LED lights are AWESOME.

No more buying high $ bulbs.

With LEDs the changes to the color and intensity are virtually unlimited. (With in reason of course.)

Good luck and make a build thread for us! Look forward to seeing it.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Looking at getting back into the hobby after 12 years or so of a break. I used to have a 90g with 55g sump that my cousin helped me with most of it. I got a parasite off of some live rock I bought and it spread like wildfire which led me to selling everything lol. Looks like a lot has changed in terms of technology.

I am wanting to do a mixed reef tank with sump. Couple ideas I'm kicking around below, and my concerns with both. Open to any and all suggestions. Doing all my research prior to buying anything.

- Pro Clear Rimless 150 - I like the looks of rimless a lot. I am concerned I'm not going to like the sump though as I want to include a refuge. Is there room for refuge? Considering going with this setup but building my own sump or buy a different one.

- 75 or 90 gallon traditional with wooden stand/canopy. 40 breeder or 55 gallon DIY sump. Possibly buy a RedFlex Reef Sump.

Wanting to add in as much automation & smart devices as practical. Couple things that I have seen that I'm wanting to do this time around that I never did in the past nor have any experience with; Dosers, ATO, Controller, anything else I might not know of that makes the tank better and easier to maintain :).
Welcome back! I'm in the exact same boat. My 90 went bad (crashed hard) 12 years ago. I was so disillusioned that i quit all together. Now I've got the bug again. And yes, tech improvements have left me in the dust. Lighting, for example, is SO much better. Back in the day, I had a killer TEK 8x54W T5 set up. If you had a deep tank, you went with Halides. LOL, my T5s are not so killer anymore! Today it's all about LEDs.

And yes, Fleece rollers are a thing now. Even heaters are new and improved. I've decided on a heater with a titanium body. Acts as a ground probe as well and the lifespan is pretty impressive. You're gonna have fun. Oh! And DC powerheads! Look into those. We came from a time when Koralias were hot. Not so much anymore! I'm outfitting my system with DC, bigtime. Variable speeds rock!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back