Getting back into hobby...

collosalness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone:

Started to look at researching equipment as I try to get back into the hobby. It's amazing how much newer options there are compared to the nano reefs I was doing years ago.

I know the old adage is the larger the volume the better, but I also wonder if nano tanks are beneficial for its ease to fix issues (if parameters suddenly worsens, can do massive WC, instead of having to worry about supplementing elements, dosing, can do wc).

My goal is to have a more largely coral oriented tank (mix SPS/LPS) with perhaps a few fish.

Wanted some thoughts on some combinations below:

Red Sea Reefer MAX G2+

this seems relatively turn-key, but obviously overpriced, and my experience with packages are that you have less control over specific components and that some of them aren't as nice as what you can piece together on your own.

IM NUVO Fusion:

the appeal of the AIO is that i don't have to worry about bulkhead leakage and maintaining a sump, but with my prior experience with AIO such as biocubes, when you start adding equipment it ends up being more and more unsightly because the back chambers are fairly limiting. This is probably not a big deal, but the thought of being able to do water changes from the sump feels easier (i don't have to drain the display portion to do WC).

IM Nuvo EXT:

The thought is that the sump would open up possibilities, i can hide equipment down there. I can get a properly sized protein skimmer. I can do WC from the sump without disturbing the DT (more frequent, smaller changes).

The plan for equipment:
Lights: i would look at kessil (I like the spotlight/MH like lighting effect, and with the AP9x out, i suspect that can light both those tanks without needing much supplement).

Water movement: AI Nero 5x x 2 vs Ecotech MP40

Protein skimmer: Hold off until after cycle and reassess (i'm thinking of stocking max 3 fish and mostly coral, i'm not even sure the bioload will be high enough to necessitate aggressive skimming).

Controller: Neptune apex vs Coralvue Hydros
(i was trying to save by not using a controller again, but i feel like the piece of mind would be worth it since I work a lot, being able to monitor parameters, failsafes for thermometers, etc. I only have experience with apex, but the earlier versions of apex).

Or...am i over thinking this and should just stick with a smaller nano such as a 10G to start since i'm essentially a beginner again?

thanks!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
personally, i would go with IM EXT. mainly for the extra space from not having the AIO compartments

also, despite redsea correcting, or managing their leaks, i rather trust a company who has not had any, or as many seam failures.

you could save some $$ on going the jebao route for water movement. are you just looking for something to have under 1 app to control? if so, then go with the Nero's, but i would say two nero 3's would be enough, with potentially adding a gyre down the road. if you're trying to plan for upgrading in the future, then i agree sizing up the equipment would be smart.

i don't have experience with controllers, but i hear better things from the hydros stuff than neptune. but both are fine i guess?

OP
OP
C

collosalness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally, i would go with IM EXT. mainly for the extra space from not having the AIO compartments

also, despite redsea correcting, or managing their leaks, i rather trust a company who has not had any, or as many seam failures.

you could save some $$ on going the jebao route for water movement. are you just looking for something to have under 1 app to control? if so, then go with the Nero's, but i would say two nero 3's would be enough, with potentially adding a gyre down the road. if you're trying to plan for upgrading in the future, then i agree sizing up the equipment would be smart.

i don't have experience with controllers, but i hear better things from the hydros stuff than neptune. but both are fine i guess?
I think i was looking for something that was easier to control in general. I have never kept large amount of SPS corals before so I'm not sure how much the different modes matter in generating random flow. I recall back then they sold wave controllers that basically turn the pumps on and off with you setting the delay using a physical knob.

I did have a vortech mp10 with my nanos before but i thought those were a bit overpriced for what you get.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think i was looking for something that was easier to control in general. I have never kept large amount of SPS corals before so I'm not sure how much the different modes matter in generating random flow. I recall back then they sold wave controllers that basically turn the pumps on and off with you setting the delay using a physical knob.

I did have a vortech mp10 with my nanos before but i thought those were a bit overpriced for what you get.
the jebao pumps are very "plug-n-play". but there is no app control unless you connect via 2.4ghz wifi. lots of reports saying the connectivity is wonky, though.

OP
OP
C

collosalness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gyre pumps weren’t around when I was last keeping a tank, is this usually a replacement or a supplement to existing power heads?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre pumps weren’t around when I was last keeping a tank, is this usually a replacement or a supplement to existing power heads?
I belive all they do is just bounce the water around the glass. So it's kinda just another version.
Idk what the specific application is but I think you still need powerhead ether way.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
they can be used interchangeably. replacement or supplement depending needs. example; i have two AI Nero 3's, and one Jebao SCP70 in my 40B. all set at roughly 50% with low variations since i also use my return for flow. i could've been fine with just my wavepumps and return, but there was a spot i couldn't get to with the nero's so i got a gyre (also because i run a sps dominant mixed reef, so more flow is good)

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Check out waterbox before you commit to redsea system. I have a reefer 350 system myself, and below I'll paste my detailed list of pros and cons I've seen, for your consideration:

Pros
  • looks amazing in my opinion, super clean design. I love the rimless open top look, even if it means more evaporation
  • Great dimensions in my opinion, deep and wide enough for an awesome scape, but shallow enough to reach down to the bottom as needed
  • custom fitted stand, sump and plumbing. You can almost everything you need all in one kit
  • I personally love the rear center combined drain and return, it means filtered water is effortlessly disbursed
  • runs silent if set up properly (you'll only hear the hum of your skimmer, if you choose to have one
  • lots of custom fitted accessories (I fitted a reefmat 500 to it and personally love it)
  • G2 version has thicker glass and protective plastic over the silicone seams to (hopefully) eliminate the silicone seam failure issues. Time will tell, but it seems solid to me. Just don't be slamming your mag float or whatever you use to clean the interior glass up against the seams.
Cons
  • The stand is HORRIBLE to assemble, and frankly feels cheap for such an expensive system. I'd much rather solid wood or metal.
  • The ATO reservoir for gravity-fed top off seems great and works well at first, but it's actually way too small, prevents you from using the sump space fully, and in my case the float valve and rubber tube that allow the fresh water to flow down constantly clog or something. I replaced this with an optic ATO with external reservoir to eliminate all of these issues, but it's a shame because now everything is not under stand stand. I'm currently gearing up to use the ATO reservoir as a rimless freshwater planted tank instead :grinning-squinting-face:
  • fairly expensive
  • you will lose some jumping-prone fish if you don't add a custom fitted cover
  • I don't like all of the "best fitting" red sea accessories (i.e I went with kessil for lighting, octopus skimmer), so fitment can be a little challenging
  • the sump looks great but I HATE how tight it is. there is next to zero space behind and around it for magnet-mounted accessories (heaters, ATO sensor, etc) check my reefer 350 build thread for pics of just how tight it is. I even removed baffles to make more room for the skimmer, reef mat and algae turf scrubber.
  • The center rear overflow has pros like I said, but it also causes the issues of needing a custom cover since it's not a perfect rectangle (if you want a cover) and the overflow stack can also disrupt even flow from powerheads. I have 2 mp40s and 2 cheap powerheads for surface agitation to combat this.
  • The doors on the stand are super annoying to open and close. Again, at this price point, disappointing

OP
OP
C

collosalness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Check out waterbox before you commit to redsea system. I have a reefer 350 system myself, and below I'll paste my detailed list of pros and cons I've seen, for your consideration:

Pros
  • looks amazing in my opinion, super clean design. I love the rimless open top look, even if it means more evaporation
  • Great dimensions in my opinion, deep and wide enough for an awesome scape, but shallow enough to reach down to the bottom as needed
  • custom fitted stand, sump and plumbing. You can almost everything you need all in one kit
  • I personally love the rear center combined drain and return, it means filtered water is effortlessly disbursed
  • runs silent if set up properly (you'll only hear the hum of your skimmer, if you choose to have one
  • lots of custom fitted accessories (I fitted a reefmat 500 to it and personally love it)
  • G2 version has thicker glass and protective plastic over the silicone seams to (hopefully) eliminate the silicone seam failure issues. Time will tell, but it seems solid to me. Just don't be slamming your mag float or whatever you use to clean the interior glass up against the seams.
Cons
  • The stand is HORRIBLE to assemble, and frankly feels cheap for such an expensive system. I'd much rather solid wood or metal.
  • The ATO reservoir for gravity-fed top off seems great and works well at first, but it's actually way too small, prevents you from using the sump space fully, and in my case the float valve and rubber tube that allow the fresh water to flow down constantly clog or something. I replaced this with an optic ATO with external reservoir to eliminate all of these issues, but it's a shame because now everything is not under stand stand. I'm currently gearing up to use the ATO reservoir as a rimless freshwater planted tank instead :grinning-squinting-face:
  • fairly expensive
  • I don't like all of the "best fitting" red sea accessories (i.e I went with kessil for lighting, octopus skimmer), so fitment can be a little challenging
  • the sump looks great but I HATE how tight it is. there is next to zero space behind and around it for magnet-mounted accessories (heaters, ATO sensor, etc) check my reefer 350 build thread for pics of just how tight it is. I even removed baffles to make more room for the skimmer, reef mat and algae turf scrubber.
  • The center rear overflow has pros like I said, but it also causes the issues of needing a custom cover since it's not a perfect rectangle (if you want a cover) and the overflow stack can also disrupt even flow from powerheads. I have 2 mp40s and 2 cheap powerheads for surface agitation to combat this.
  • The doors on the stand are super annoying to open and close. Again, at this price point, disappointing
I’m seriously tempted to go with the Red Sea g2 system. My LFS carries it and would have help setting up and moving it into place.

I like that everything is designed to work together, it’s attractive for me because I don’t have to trouble shoot picking different equipment (except I might pick my own Powerhead/light)

I know this has been asked many times before, but the stories about Red Sea tanks leaking, these are presumably actually rare events?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seriously tempted to go with the Red Sea g2 system. My LFS carries it and would have help setting up and moving it into place.

I like that everything is designed to work together, it’s attractive for me because I don’t have to trouble shoot picking different equipment (except I might pick my own Powerhead/light)

I know this has been asked many times before, but the stories about Red Sea tanks leaking, these are presumably actually rare events?
They're more common than other manufacturers.

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone:

Started to look at researching equipment as I try to get back into the hobby. It's amazing how much newer options there are compared to the nano reefs I was doing years ago.

I know the old adage is the larger the volume the better, but I also wonder if nano tanks are beneficial for its ease to fix issues (if parameters suddenly worsens, can do massive WC, instead of having to worry about supplementing elements, dosing, can do wc).

My goal is to have a more largely coral oriented tank (mix SPS/LPS) with perhaps a few fish.

Wanted some thoughts on some combinations below:

Red Sea Reefer MAX G2+

this seems relatively turn-key, but obviously overpriced, and my experience with packages are that you have less control over specific components and that some of them aren't as nice as what you can piece together on your own.

IM NUVO Fusion:

the appeal of the AIO is that i don't have to worry about bulkhead leakage and maintaining a sump, but with my prior experience with AIO such as biocubes, when you start adding equipment it ends up being more and more unsightly because the back chambers are fairly limiting. This is probably not a big deal, but the thought of being able to do water changes from the sump feels easier (i don't have to drain the display portion to do WC).

IM Nuvo EXT:

The thought is that the sump would open up possibilities, i can hide equipment down there. I can get a properly sized protein skimmer. I can do WC from the sump without disturbing the DT (more frequent, smaller changes).

The plan for equipment:
Lights: i would look at kessil (I like the spotlight/MH like lighting effect, and with the AP9x out, i suspect that can light both those tanks without needing much supplement).

Water movement: AI Nero 5x x 2 vs Ecotech MP40

Protein skimmer: Hold off until after cycle and reassess (i'm thinking of stocking max 3 fish and mostly coral, i'm not even sure the bioload will be high enough to necessitate aggressive skimming).

Controller: Neptune apex vs Coralvue Hydros
(i was trying to save by not using a controller again, but i feel like the piece of mind would be worth it since I work a lot, being able to monitor parameters, failsafes for thermometers, etc. I only have experience with apex, but the earlier versions of apex).

Or...am i over thinking this and should just stick with a smaller nano such as a 10G to start since i'm essentially a beginner again?

thanks!
Welcome back into the hobby!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are quite common with the G1 systems, I personally have not seen any instances of G2 failures.

OP
OP
C

collosalness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pros
Cons
  • fairly expensive
Did you use all Red Sea equipment or buy separate lights, skimmers, etc? The draw of sticking to their stuff seems to be that it all uses reef beat (as opposed to having an app per device )

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use all Red Sea equipment or buy separate lights, skimmers, etc? The draw of sticking to their stuff seems to be that it all uses reef beat (as opposed to having an app per device )
I did not use any red sea equipment other than the ReefMat fleece roller, which is great.

Lighting: Kessil AP9x and Orphek OR3
Skimmer: Reef octopus
Return: Reef Octopus Varios
Flow: 2x vortech mp40, 2x jebao scp70

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

collosalness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not use any red sea equipment other than the ReefMat fleece roller, which is great.

Lighting: Kessil AP9x and Orphek OR3
Skimmer: Reef octopus
Return: Reef Octopus Varios
Flow: 2x votech mp40, 2x jebae scp70
Is the reefled insufficient for the tanks? I am looking at the 250/300 and I think BRS put the average par on the top near the 200s on the reefleds. I do like the Jessie but unsure if the coverage is adequate. I suppose you can always add strips as you have in your build?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the reefled insufficient for the tanks? I am looking at the 250/300 and I think BRS put the average par on the top near the 200s on the reefleds. I do like the Jessie but unsure if the coverage is adequate. I suppose you can always add strips as you have in your build?
it depends what you'd like to keep in the tank. The Reef LEDs should be fine for just about everything except higher PAR-demanding SPS and clams.

bryce.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to redsea, everything I searched seems to be the seams failing due to cheap stand, thats why the g2 now has the center brace to support the middle. Also gotta remember they sell a lot more tanks than other brands so of course there is gonna be more failures and lets be honest way more people pipe up when its time to complain vs praising a product. Only hear the bad side because people want to vent.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back