Getting back into Saltwater after 30 years

DiverDownO2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 38g saltwater tank in the early 90s. Wow have things changed. I'm looking to get back into it. I'm looking to buy a tank for the office of my business. The biggest change I'm seeing is with the filtration systems and building them into the tank. Which I love. I'm considering the following tanks and would like some feedback. The tank will be in a reception area with no direct window light. Would like some feedback on the setups linked below.

How are the filtration systems with these "all in ones"? What else would need to be added to fully setup this system?

Looking to get up to speed with today's aquarium technology so I can successfully get back into the hobby.

Thanks in advance.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
firstly; welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

secondly; AIO(all in 1) tanks are generally easier to use(less equipment needed, but also less room for equipment). pre drilled tanks or tanks catered for sumps are generally for those who want to keep their equipment hidden or to have more room for equipment. there is also an added bonus of having more space for live rock, and refugium

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
firstly; welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

secondly; AIO(all in 1) tanks are generally easier to use(less equipment needed, but also less room for equipment). pre drilled tanks or tanks catered for sumps are generally for those who want to keep their equipment hidden or to have more room for equipment. there is also an added bonus of having more space for live rock, and refugium
From PA too! :)

Definitely not as knowledgeable as @shakacuz , but I have had a great experience with my 26g AIO (Red Sea Nano Penisula - 26 gallons). Assuming you want a longer tank though (which I recommend, just didn't have the space for). But you can check mine out below:

OP
OP
D

DiverDownO2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 38g saltwater tank in the early 90s. Wow have things changed. I'm looking to get back into it. I'm looking to buy a tank for the office of my business. The biggest change I'm seeing is with the filtration systems and building them into the tank. Which I love. I'm considering the following tanks and would like some feedback. The tank will be in a reception area with no direct window light. Would like some feedback on the setups linked below.

How are the filtration systems with these "all in ones"? What else would need to be added to fully setup this system?

Looking to get up to speed with today's aquarium technology so I can successfully get back into the hobby.

Thanks in advance.
As a follow up, perhaps providing the use case would help. This is a tank I'd like to place in the lobby of my business. The nearest window is 8' away. It's a small lobby area with a few chairs for clients. I mentioned I've worked with saltwater in the past, but it was a long time ago and I'm quickly seeing the hobby has really advanced. I was doing it in the mid 90's before there was any real technology in the hobby.

Given the use case, I need something that is low maintenance and easy to keep clear and clean. I realize that's a lot to ask but if it's going to be in the lobby it has to look good. I understand the conditioning and that there is a process which is explainable.

So I just wanted to add some context. I have a good space that is workable and would prefer something in the 30g to 50g range with a fully integrated filtration system. These are just two options I was looking at but I'm completely open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Given the use case, I need something that is low maintenance and easy to keep clear and clean. I realize that's a lot to ask but if it's going to be in the lobby it has to look good. I understand the conditioning and that there is a process which is explainable.
my advice to that is that perhaps set up a small barrier/perimeter around the tank and have curtains? would still catch the eye, but likely less noticeable? just a thought. but your idea of just explaining to customers/visitors that it’s being conditioned is good as well

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They probably didn't have many skimmers back then. This is a must have nowadays. I use an Aquamax Bullet 3 hang on back for my sumpless tank and it's awesome. If you have the room, use it.

I just saw the tank... I'd do quite a bit of research before purchasing. I wouldn't get that tank. The first thing you would do in a few months is rip that lid off so that you can run adequate lighting.

OP
OP
D

DiverDownO2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably didn't have many skimmers back then. This is a must have nowadays. I use an Aquamax Bullet 3 hang on back for my sumpless tank and it's awesome. If you have the room, use it.

I just saw the tank... I'd do quite a bit of research before purchasing. I wouldn't get that tank. The first thing you would do in a few months is rip that lid off so that you can run adequate lighting.
Appreciate the feedback. There were protein skimmers back then but they were a new tech and super expensive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back