Getting back into the hobby: LED vs LED/T5....what's changed?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED's have come a long way. For an SPS tank the Radion G6 is a MUCH better choice than the Neptune Sky. That being said, no LED fixture on the market provides actual full spectrum light. We use Radion T5 hybrid fixtures on all of our systems. It truly is the best of both worlds. We get the excellent color rendition of the Radions with the full spectrum and reduced shading of the T5's.
Using the " common" definition soreadily thrown around with no real definition
t5's are not full spectrum either.
Many current LEDs are as " full spectrum" as t5's.
"Full spectrums" at various depths.
Screenshot_20230509-162736.png

Screenshot_20230509-163311.png

Last edited:

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the " common" definition soreadily thrown around with no real definition
t5's are not full spectrum either.
Many current LEDs are as " full spectrum" as t5's.
"Full spectrums" at various depths.
Screenshot_20230509-162736.png

Screenshot_20230509-163311.png
Can you please label and explain the charts? They seem to report in different measurements, and which one is LED (and what brand and settings) and which one is T5 (and what brand and bulb?). I'm not getting any useful information the way these are presented. Thank you.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please label and explain the charts? They seem to report in different measurements, and which one is LED (and what brand and settings) and which one is T5 (and what brand and bulb?). I'm not getting any useful information the way these are presented. Thank you.
Top is the ocean itself at various depths Bottom is a Hamilton "20000k" i.e. "blue bulb"
Below us an Orphek icon
Screenshot_20230509-171454.png

I personally prefer the term " extended" spectrum over full for some lights. :)

Screenshot_20230509-173157.png

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's just the spread that makes T5's the best, like BRS keeps saying there is no magic T5 photon but the spread is just unbeatable. That soft diffused light that is also of a good spectrum just covers the corals from every angle.
No argument there.
Not sure I'd go as far as unbeatable though.
Hard to beat maybe.

Aquarium glass is like having 4 leaky mirrors. There is more than one way to spread photons

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Went with the Radion G6 XR30 x3 (soon to be over) my waterbox 109.5 --on backorder. Tank is roughly 60" long and 24" wide. Currently, I have one light over the QT tank. It looks better than the old school LEDS but still a little bit of a disco effect --hoping that when the additional ones are hung, the light blends a bit better.

If one upgrades to a hybrid, whats the best hybrid t5 adapter currently recommended? Though, I like the low heat of LED --I don't run AC on my tanks.

Tank is rimless, modern sleek look.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super, super narrow blue spectrum. It has more of a "450nm spike" than a lot of the cheap Chinese lights on Amazon. In order to get any width in the blue band, you have to adjust the main channel (450nm) way down which basically neuters the light for PAR.

BRS glossed over and downplayed all that in the initial review, but some of us were paying attention.

Then, when you figure in the cost, there are a LOT better options for the same or less (sometimes a lot less) money. I think with the current state of LED lighting, you'd have to really be a Neptune fan to buy a Sky at this point.

I've even noticed the static tv effect with it at a store which was disappointing to see.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with the Radion G6 XR30 x3 (soon to be over) my waterbox 109.5 --on backorder. Tank is roughly 60" long and 24" wide. Currently, I have one light over the QT tank. It looks better than the old school LEDS but still a little bit of a disco effect --hoping that when the additional ones are hung, the light blends a bit better.

If one upgrades to a hybrid, whats the best hybrid t5 adapter currently recommended? Though, I like the low heat of LED --I don't run AC on my tanks.

Do you have the diffusers on them?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can eliminate some with a higher hanging height.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Aquatic Life fixtures seem to be pretty clean. I just got a used 24” that I need to get hooked up. It’s the older style so not as modern looking and not dimmable, but it was only $100.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 16x 48” t5 bulbs over a 72”x47”. I think you can tell from the photos but the lights are weighted to lean in slightly which I assume creates even more coverage.

As far as heat, the heaters don’t have to turn on:)

I have two LEDs (smatfarm) mounted into one of the fixtures , for dawn and dusk ramping.

T5 does all the work, LED does all the show, imo best of both :)
A9BDFDB9-7FA0-4760-9726-769E46692440.jpeg
677D2888-E1A6-4058-9CD7-3654E29B3993.jpeg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run t5 and love them. I have a par wise light meter that measures light spectrum. Running 4 b+ one aquablue special and a true actintic. Light meter show color spectrum matches what brs was showing us on their latest videos for all the spectrum that coral uses from the low 400's to the indigo. I have not run led and probably won't until I can no longer get my t5 bulbs. Hopefully there is or will be led that matches the full span of t5

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be shaking out to coverage. Tanks with wall to wall leds or t5 or combos, large halides etc do better than single or double fixtures. But I can tell you some cheap blackbox LEDs grow coral. It's about balancing power, coverage and aesthetic. The options are kinda endless at this point, that's why there is so much debate lately

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use the Aquatic Life fixtures. They work well for us, but looks are not important for our application. At one point we did turn off the T5's for a few months to see if we could still get the same results with Radions only. We did not get the same results, and the T5's have been in use since.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one point we did turn off the T5's for a few months to see if we could still get the same results with Radions only. We did not get the same results, and the T5's have been in use since.

Did you compensate for the loss of par?
What was the difference in results btw?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest reading thermans thread. All DIY led and mid level reefbreeders for many years now. One of the nicest systems around. Really world class and grows difficult acros that many systems can’t no matter what lighting they run.

His thread shows lighting tech really isn’t that important except for us to argue over! Chemistry is really the key. Now if someone reads thermans thread and can already obtain those results, then by all means switch things up but his system is almost without peer.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can accomplish the same thing with a ReefBrite "hybrid" using less electricity and putting off less heat.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can accomplish the same thing with a ReefBrite "hybrid" using less electricity and putting off less heat.

+1
Reef brite, Orphek or3, AI blade, Reefbreeder bars, etc. I prefer the reefbrite and AI blade.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back