Getting back into the hobby.

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a 10 year hiatus, I decided to get back into the hobby. After talking to the wife, I was ready to buy a big box kit (Red Sea, Waterbox, Cade, Innovative Marine). Got permission to get like a 150 gal + system. So down the rabbit hole I went. Joined R2R and various Facebook groups. Asked some questions, watched a bunch of YouTube videos and almost pulled the trigger. Then couple of good friends mentioned they had some equipment just laying around. Scored a 75 Gal display with homemade stand. What I believe is a 60 gal sump with a ton of other stuff like skimmer, calcium reactors, external return pump, couple of maxspect gyres, apex controller, co2 doser, tank and random odds and ends. Now I need to find a stand big enough to house the big sump, it’s wider than the DT. Let’s see how this goes ...

9EF9661E-69BC-4DEA-8199-861FCCCC8047.jpeg

8E6505B1-4712-495A-B2A5-ADE39E7C38EA.jpeg

OP
OP
tricky_tran

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the group, tran! :D

i’m also back in the hobby after a ten-year hiatus. 75G is a nice starting size! (you’ve tested it already for leak integrity? where did they store the tank?)
It was sitting outside under a tarp. That’s just a bunch of salt. I was ready to vinegar dip it, but it seems to be coming off easily. Just need a new stand. The sump is longer than the DT.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sitting under a tarp for how long? this is a glass tank?

we’ve had some wickedly hot weather a month back.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It obviously depends on where you plan to install this but you may want to consider extending the stand to support the full sump length and building a cabinet around it. You can use the height above the extra sump length for a storage cupboard for a controller etc, either a larger cupboard at one end or two smaller ones each side if you prefer.

OP
OP
tricky_tran

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It obviously depends on where you plan to install this but you may want to consider extending the stand to support the full sump length and building a cabinet around it. You can use the height above the extra sump length for a storage cupboard for a controller etc, either a larger cupboard at one end or two smaller ones each side if you prefer.

Its going to be the center piece in our living room. The tank is 36" x 24" and the sump is 47" x 24". Since I do plan to get a bigger tank in the future, I am thinking of getting a 60" x 30" x 36" custom Framing Tech stand to give that extra wiggle room for the sump and equipment, then have a big enough stand for the 150 Gal + in the future. For now it will have room for this tank and my Innovative Marine Encore Pro 20 that is 24" x 15".

im encore.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back