Getting back into the reefing world

Tallon 22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,
I have currently been out of the reefing world for about 15 yrs and would like to dip my feet once again. I had a 70g LPS with sump skimmer Metal Halide lights and just loved it till I had a water issue in my sump and destroyed my hardwood floors. I am looking for 70g to 100g with sump. Starting with a few fish and LPS. In a year or two may graduate to a SPS or two on the upper shelves if all goes well.
Here are my questions and request for advise as I have not been around it for many years.
1. Where is the best place to look for decent value for decent equipment. I know the world has changed in the last 15y and with free shipping this could be anywhere.
2. I also realize that the technology has changed a lot in 15y so what should I be looking for or what new stuff is or has become more of a necessity.
What I think I need is below.
Please feel free to comment on this as nothing is purchased and would rather not spend needless money back tracking or getting something I will not need or use.
Quality rimless glass tank 70g to 100g
Sump able to have skimmer and refugium
Skimmer
500 to 700gph return pump
Like to get a controller but do not have limited funds
power heads
Heater
Dosing pumps for a 2 part for calcium and PH
RO/DI unit
Probably go with man made dry rock as I like the idea of starting as sterol as possible
1.5 to 2 Inch of live sand
Lights??? The more I read I guess the best overall may be a T-5 LED combo but this can get very pricey also
Refugium light
I know that I am missing a ton of accidentals, however this may describe the the direction I am heading.
Thanks for your time

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Welcome to R2R!

Have you considered get a used setup and saving significantly? People are upgrading and leaving the hobby all the time. Look to buy a great setup for a fraction of new.

Here’s my RSR425XL purchases used with used Radion g5 lights.

2ADB14ED-4D57-44A4-8692-EFC0B42C5907.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tallon 22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Welcome to R2R!

Have you considered get a used setup and saving significantly? People are upgrading and leaving the hobby all the time. Look to buy a great setup for a fraction of new.

Here’s my RSR425XL purchases used with used Radion g5 lights.

2ADB14ED-4D57-44A4-8692-EFC0B42C5907.jpeg
I have been looking and not totally against it but would probably use just equipment cause most the time you are just buying existing problems. Maybe problems are easier to resolve these days.
Nice looking reef though.

Upvote 0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking and not totally against it but would probably use just equipment cause most the time you are just buying existing problems. Maybe problems are easier to resolve these days.
Nice looking reef though.
Sounds like you are pretty experienced and would be able to discern good equipment/systems from bad.

Recommend you look for someone upgrading.

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back