OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a silent system you need to have at least 2 drains. See Herbie and bean animal overflow designs.
The noise of the water in the drain wasnt really a problem it was the noise of the pump which was noisy even when not touching anything. I changed the pump to one I've seen is meant to be quiet but that's just caused this issue with the drain

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures of what you can do. This is on a freshwater tank but the principle is the same. Both drilled holes act as drains. I put a valve on the larger one and adjusted it so that there is barely any water coming down the second drain line. The third pipe in the background is the return line. I simply have it going over the back of the tank.

08037B2A-5F58-465F-B37C-FA82E072F646.jpeg

Then I added a valve onto the return pump. This lets me adjust the flow if I need to turn I down. Obviously I have it all the way open because it's not loud running at full power but if needed you can turn it down.

82135DD8-C9C7-4AA4-AD3D-D90BFC6B4FCD.jpeg

And here is the return. I have a canopy so it's hidden and doesn't have to look nice.

536FB95B-9E66-4838-9D37-515C66924610.jpeg

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also pictures and or video of what you having going on would help. One more thing when you get a new pump it usually needs to break in and its common for them to be a bit louder when you first get them.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use a valve on the return off a pump it puts back pressure on the pump.
would have been best to use a DC voltage pump where you could have controlled the speed of the pump to balance the flow.
gate valvesshould be used instead of ball valves. As gate valves are designed to adjust flow and ball valve are designed to cut off flow. I would suggest going to your local LFS and seeing someone could come out and see your system in person and determine the best solution.

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would have been best to use a DC voltage pump where you could have controlled the speed of the pump to balance the flow.
gate valvesshould be used instead of ball valves. As gate valves are designed to adjust flow and ball valve are designed to cut off flow. I would suggest going to your local LFS and seeing someone could come out and see your system in person and determine the best solution.
Thank you I've emailed them to see if that it a possibility.
I'm currently trying to find an elbow joint pipe to fit in the drain but cant find anything as they are all measured by internal diameter not external :confused:

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This depends entirely on the pump. Restricting flow is no different then head pressure and there are plenty of return pumps that handle that pressure just fine. He’s in a situation where he needs to adjust and it is MUCH safer for him to adjust his return then to throttle his ONLY drain.

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help. My dad came and helped me with it today and we put a hole and a small tube in the drain pipe which solved the siphon problem.
The pump even on the lowest setting was draining that section of the sump so we put a gate valve on the return pipe and it's now running fine with just a hum.
The hum is louder than I'd hoped as the pump is advertised as "silent" but I'm aware I will never get the full system silent anyway, the only problem is my boyfriend is autistic and noise is a problem for him so hopefully it will bed in and get a little quieter

Back