getting mixed responses on this I.D.

f.christian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive taken a few pictures in different lighting I don't have a filter so I did the best I could with my phone. The first picture is all white light. The second picture is all blue with the low white light. the last picture is solid blue.

If anyone has ideas id appreciate it
IMG_2377.jpeg

IMG_2378.jpeg
IMG_2379.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tubbs blue zoas

OP
OP
f.christian

f.christian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some white zombies that look identical but ive had people argue it saying white zombies are red but when you search it there's a pretty good variety on the colors it can have under the right light my zoos do look reddish but not super red. my zoos follow the guidelines of what a People eater should have some im wondering if maybe this is a kind of morph to the White zombie/ Seduction zoa
Tidal Gardens - Seduction PE Palythoas
White People Eater? | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

if I were to try to sell frags of this one how would I go about it? I don't want to tell people its one thing then turn around and it be another thing not worth what I sold it for

is there a price range for white zoas?
or a price range for people eater zoas?

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks more like Hawaiian people eater than white zombie/seduction. The teal color is a giveaway

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I thought Hawaiian people eaters where a general name not a specific Zoa name

It’s a catch all, sorta like blue berry fields, creamsicles, fire and ice... it’s a bucket you can put them in since, just like the other 3 I mentioned, there’s so many variations of each. That’s probably about as specific as it needs to get.

OP
OP
f.christian

f.christian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a catch all, sorta like blue berry fields, creamsicles, fire and ice... it’s a bucket you can put them in since, just like the other 3 I mentioned, there’s so many variations of each. That’s probably about as specific as it needs to get.
okay that makes a lot of sense thank you for that.

OP
OP
f.christian

f.christian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the vendors just make up names as they go... lol
im 100% positive about that. I was talking to my local reef store about the zoas and all that. he said when he makes his order it just says zoanthids there is no specific names. he gets a rock with a variety of of different ones and he "I.D's" them from there. so its up to how reputable you are.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Green skirt or blue ****** is the only others i can think of

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
im 100% positive about that. I was talking to my local reef store about the zoas and all that. he said when he makes his order it just says zoanthids there is no specific names. he gets a rock with a variety of of different ones and he "I.D's" them from there. so its up to how reputable you are.

I'll start by saying the names are are largely subjective and based on people's whims. I've been in the hobby since the 90's and back then nothing was branded or named. However, you also didn't see quite the same amount of extraordinary colored corals (across the board... not just with zoas). You simply had 'graded' colonies that came in. In the last decade or so a garden industry has sprung up around 'branding' and 'releasing' zoas. The naming came about because you needed someway to describe what you're looking at. People in the industry, able to get choice rocks from wholesalers, started naming stuff and then branding it.

Here's where it gets silly. Name recognition goes a long way. OG Krakatos were short lived in captivity and to my knowledge they haven't found another patch of them out there in the ocean. However, people started spinning off speckled Kraks, pink kraks, krak gods etc... none of these really having any physiological similarity or connection with another. So people do that and then they start using each other's names... vw bloodshots and jf bloodshots are two completely different things. Some people, like cb rebrand stuff at a whim and charge and arm and a leg. Here we are now where its a mess and people just name stuff, throw a number on it, and see if they can get someone else to buy in.

To me naming conventions are pretty straight forward. If something has a distinguishing characteristic, like a rasta, then go ahead and call it a rasta. If it doesn't then it can often go in one of the 'buckets' I mentioned before. 70% of ID requests in the forum are either watermelons, eagle eyes, fire and ice, or one of the other several generic labels. All of this is of course accounting for variances in appearance due to tank params, lighting conditions, etc.

What about stuff that truly is special? Well, when you buy a named zoa at a premium you're making a good faith covenant with the seller, assuming they're not the 'originator,' that you're getting something 'lineaged' back to the person that introduced it. I'll add the caveat that no zoa exists solely in a 2' x 2' section of the ocean... so no one has a monopoly on anyone strain but ID's and names generally SHOULD default to the person that brought the strain to the attention of others. Speaking on behalf of collectors now (or even casual zoa enthusiasts), our job is to cut through the bull$hit and do our best to correctly ID the stuff we pass on to our fellow hobbyists.

OP
OP
f.christian

f.christian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start by saying the names are are largely subjective and based on people's whims. I've been in the hobby since the 90's and back then nothing was branded or named. However, you also didn't see quite the same amount of extraordinary colored corals (across the board... not just with zoas). You simply had 'graded' colonies that came in. In the last decade or so a garden industry has sprung up around 'branding' and 'releasing' zoas. The naming came about because you needed someway to describe what you're looking at. People in the industry, able to get choice rocks from wholesalers, started naming stuff and then branding it.

Here's where it gets silly. Name recognition goes a long way. OG Krakatos were short lived in captivity and to my knowledge they haven't found another patch of them out there in the ocean. However, people started spinning off speckled Kraks, pink kraks, krak gods etc... none of these really having any physiological similarity or connection with another. So people do that and then they start using each other's names... vw bloodshots and jf bloodshots are two completely different things. Some people, like cb rebrand stuff at a whim and charge and arm and a leg. Here we are now where its a mess and people just name stuff, throw a number on it, and see if they can get someone else to buy in.

To me naming conventions are pretty straight forward. If something has a distinguishing characteristic, like a rasta, then go ahead and call it a rasta. If it doesn't then it can often go in one of the 'buckets' I mentioned before. 70% of ID requests in the forum are either watermelons, eagle eyes, fire and ice, or one of the other several generic labels. All of this is of course accounting for variances in appearance due to tank params, lighting conditions, etc.

What about stuff that truly is special? Well, when you buy a named zoa at a premium you're making a good faith covenant with the seller, assuming they're not the 'originator,' that you're getting something 'lineaged' back to the person that introduced it. I'll add the caveat that no zoa exists solely in a 2' x 2' section of the ocean... so no one has a monopoly on anyone strain but ID's and names generally SHOULD default to the person that brought the strain to the attention of others. Speaking on behalf of collectors now (or even casual zoa enthusiasts), our job is to cut through the bull$hit and do our best to correctly ID the stuff we pass on to our fellow hobbyists.

Thats super informative I only recently started to frag off corals because ive had my tanks for a few years now and ive got a pretty decent hand at keeping them alive healthy and prosperous. but there's always something new to learn about and zoas for whatever reason I could never get to grow until recently with a tank I downgraded to for whatever reason everything has grown exponentially more. It could be that I am noticing it more because it's a smaller tank but I digress. All in all if I get my hands on something I want to know what it is I bought these from a small business fish store that a guy does in his house. With that being said he didn't have an ID for it but id never seen white zoas in my experience with fish stores so now im at the point where its grown enough for me to let some go but I like to tell people this is what you are going to get because it's one heck of a letdown to see something and get something else. I don't want be that guy so im trying to be as accurate as I can but with these corals it's HARD to say the lease I have another zoa that ive posted and can't get a clear ID on but it has a Gold rim to it which isn't something ive seen a ton of either so I just like to know what I have and what im giving people If I do decide to try to make a quick buck to keep up with my tank expenses.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back