Getting my feet wet with a nano

eplfan2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept freshwater fish for as long as I can remember but I've always wanted a saltwater tank. Earlier this year my wife bought me a Evo 13.5 for my birthday, and I finally got round to setting it up.
I've read a lot of people recommend letting your tank mature before adding fish which seems reasonable so I've decided to sort of do that. My cycle is done full water Change and added some ammonia and zero ammonia and nitrites this morning ready to go.
I added a molly to the tank this morning and it's doing well, I figured its better than looking at rock and when the ugly stage starts he will he!p with the clean up along with some cuc when there's enough to feed them.
Thanks for reading pic will follow later (no filter )

Tank is Evo 13.5
Carabsea life rock
Carabsea live sand
Stock Light (as it's good enough for fish and softies)
Pump sicce 0.5
Filtration chamber 1and 2 dflow media baskets
Aqamia KPS wave maker
Cobalt 50w heater

Screenshot_20210103-170606~2.jpg

Last edited:

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a good start! Any ideas for stocking (short of mentioning softies regards the lighting)? Given the size of the tank, I'm going to recommend primarily (fish-wise) going with the smallest gobies, as they make the tank look bigger: Yellow Clown Goby, Green Banded Gobies, Red Striped (Trimma) Goby, Yellow or Blue Neon Goby, Red Headed Goby. Clowns will want to rule the roost (as is definitely the case with damsels). Having said that, my Flame Clown isn't bothered one bit by all the smaller gobies (see Build Thread link). But he has intimidated other middle size fish in the past (Royal Gramma, Cryptic Wrasse). Oh yes, Cryptic/Pink Streak Wrasses are awesome if you can find them! They don't look like much in a picture, but they have a character to them that is very endearing (and are uber peaceful).

Last edited:
OP
OP
eplfan2011

eplfan2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a good start! Any ideas for stocking (short of mentioning softies regards the lighting)? Given the size of the tank, I'm going to recommend primarily (fish-wise) going with the smallest gobies, as they make the tank look bigger: Yellow Clown Goby, Green Banded Gobies, Red Striped (Trimma) Goby, Yellow or Blue Neon Goby, Red Headed Goby. Clowns will want to rule the roost (as is definitely the case with damsels). Having said that, my Flame Clown isn't bothered one bit by all the smaller gobies (see Build Thread link). But he has intimidated other middle size fish in the past (Royal Gramma, Cryptic Wrasse). Oh yes, Cryptic/Pink Streak Wrasses are awesome if you can find them! They don't look like much in a picture, but they have a character to them that is very endearing (and are uber peaceful).
At the moment just a molly to watch, my wife has her heart set on a pair of clowns and I don't really want to upset her who must be obeyed
I'm already thinking I'll be breaking down one of my fresh water 75s and I have a couple of smaller tanks I could turn into a sump and some other stuff that could come in handy you see where this is going right....
Thanks for all the fish suggestions though when I do stock it I'll be sure to take a look !!!

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome man! It's addicting!!! Soon your fluval will be stored away and you'll be upgrading! Lol

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly is, but I think the evo will stay, I love it's small form. My problem will be finding room, as I already have 2 75s, 2 55, a 20 f/w and the evo lol....

Ah... I see. I know the feeling. It's so funny I used to have almost same tank sizes like you. So many tanks. In the end though, It became more of a job and it wasn't fun. So I just decided to just have 1 tank and concentrate on that one. Wish I never sold my evo though, definitely keep it.

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept freshwater fish for as long as I can remember but I've always wanted a saltwater tank. Earlier this year my wife bought me a Evo 13.5 for my birthday, and I finally got round to setting it up.
I've read a lot of people recommend letting your tank mature before adding fish which seems reasonable so I've decided to sort of do that. My cycle is done full water Change and added some ammonia and zero ammonia and nitrites this morning ready to go.
I added a molly to the tank this morning and it's doing well, I figured its better than looking at rock and when the ugly stage starts he will he!p with the clean up along with some cuc when there's enough to feed them.
Thanks for reading pic will follow later (no filter )

Tank is Evo 13.5
Carabsea life rock
Carabsea live sand
Stock Light (as it's good enough for fish and softies)
Pump sicce 0.5
Filtration chamber 1and 2 dflow media baskets
Aqamia KPS wave maker
Cobalt 50w heater
Very nice! You seem to know what you're doing but with a 13.5 you have to really make sure to not overstock it. Good luck with it! I'm new to reef2reef and I am starting up my tank for the first time in a while so inexperienced people like me need the most help so please follow me and answer my recent post :) I hope everything works out

OP
OP
eplfan2011

eplfan2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah... I see. I know the feeling. It's so funny I used to have almost same tank sizes like you. So many tanks. In the end though, It became more of a job and it wasn't fun. So I just decided to just have 1 tank and concentrate on that one. Wish I never sold my evo though, definitely keep it.
Keeps me busy, I'm sort of retired now lost half my leg to cancer about 3 years ago, I get around well enough on a prosthic leg but looking after the tanks stops me going stir crazy

OP
OP
eplfan2011

eplfan2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol first saltwater tank and first addition is a fresh water fish ;Hilarious
That's down to a lack of knowledge on my part lol I just wanted a babysitter for the tank that would help clean up while it matures, and I'm not familiar enough with saltwater fish so the molly seemed a safe bet, plus he can go back into f/w when I'm done and decide what to stock..... No fish left behind lol

OP
OP
eplfan2011

eplfan2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! You seem to know what you're doing but with a 13.5 you have to really make sure to not overstock it. Good luck with it! I'm new to reef2reef and I am starting up my tank for the first time in a while so inexperienced people like me need the most help so please follow me and answer my recent post :) I hope everything works out
I know my way around a f/w tank well enough but when it comes to salt I know nothing! Everything I've done so far is pretty cross platform a cycle is a cycle whatever type of water. I read a lot and try and learn from the knowledgable people on here and I'll certainly have questions to ask soon.

OP
OP
eplfan2011

eplfan2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so much for my plans to let my tank mature before adding the permanent residents to it. Apparently when my wife bought the tank for me for my birthday back in September, she also bought a pair of clowns which have been chilling in a mutual friend's quarantine tank, obviously without my knowledge.
She came home on Tuesday clutching them with a big smile on her face .....here is a late Christmas gift ...the rest is history ....they have settled in swimming and eating well. I will post a pic in the original post of this thread.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back