Getting My First BTA

hillg2784

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was a petco today picking up some fish and came across this GBTA and after asking the price ($59), I thought maybe I should get it.

I don’t know the first thing about taking care of them and what to feed them. It would be placed in 125g tank that’s 3 months old and is currently stocked with 2 clowns, 2 wrasse, coral beauty and a one spot foxface.

If I decide to go this route, what fish would I have to afford moving g forward, if any? Does effect me adding corals at a later time? Can I add additional BTA if I so choose?

IMG_5742.jpeg

austinsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your coral beauty ~shouldn't~ nip at it, but it might. What are your future plans for fish?

It shouldn't have an issue with other corals. When you first put it in, it might move around and annoy some corals until it finds a spot it likes, but long term you should be okay.

OP
OP
H

hillg2784

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It possible could be, I was looking at the sign at the store, I just know the price was $59 because I had to ask to find that out. Is that a good price?

OP
OP
H

hillg2784

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your coral beauty ~shouldn't~ nip at it, but it might. What are your future plans for fish?

It shouldn't have an issue with other corals. When you first put it in, it might move around and annoy some corals until it finds a spot it likes, but long term you should be okay.
Don’t have any corals at this time. So it seems it would make sense to get them after the nem.

Few more wrasse, yellowtail damsels, maybe try and get another angel fish, maybe a tang.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few more wrasse, yellowtail damsels, maybe try and get another angel fish, maybe a tang.
In addition to the 6 fish you already have??

As to whether or not you should get the anemone, how long have you tracked stable parameters? General advice for nems is that they do better in a mature tank, one that has a good history of stable water chemistry. I don't know if your tank has been set up long enough to have that history.

Do a Google search to learn about the care requirements. Yes, this forum is for answering questions, but why should someone regurgitate what's already out there when you can find it yourself (and may come across answers to questions you haven't thought to ask yet)? ;)

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't rush things this hobby is all about taking your time when stocking your reef. If you have a tank full of live rock you might get away with it but three months is young for adding anemones

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend adhesions a long tentacle anemone at this point. Aquacultured BTA is a better choice for a few more months down the road. I've had trouble with all but rock flower anemones in young tanks.

OP
OP
H

hillg2784

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 55g that’s been up and running for 18 months or so. It’s not stocked with much, 2 clowns, 2 damsels, a goby and a hood amount of CUC.

Would that be that be a better choice?

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does kind of look like a long tentacle anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis), to me too. They require a deep sand bed, at least 6 inches. BTAs on the other hand attach to holes or crevices in the live rock. BTAs are significantly easier to keep than LTAs. LTAs have clear spots that run along the column of the anemone and they also have a pinkish foot, which should be buried in the sand. If a LTA gets even a miniscule tear in the foot, as sometimes happens during collection or when removing from a dealers tank, the anemone is a goner. An infection invariably sets in and the anemone will succumb. On the other hand, BTAs are much more forgiving.

What are your tank parameters in both tanks and lighting?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the 6 fish you already have??

As to whether or not you should get the anemone, how long have you tracked stable parameters? General advice for nems is that they do better in a mature tank, one that has a good history of stable water chemistry. I don't know if your tank has been set up long enough to have that history.

Do a Google search to learn about the care requirements. Yes, this forum is for answering questions, but why should someone regurgitate what's already out there when you can find it yourself (and may come across answers to questions you haven't thought to ask yet)? ;)

Don't rush things this hobby is all about taking your time when stocking your reef. If you have a tank full of live rock you might get away with it but three months is young for adding anemones
While I totally agree with @Nman in principle I think the encouragement to go slow isn't generally how reef addicts behave. We are like the homeless persons who when asked if they want a hotel room for a week or a dime bag of crack for their pipe might think about the options for a minute but once they see the crack, it's crack now everytime. No judgement here applies to anyone other than myself in the above comment.
I also have a 55g that’s been up and running for 18 months or so. It’s not stocked with much, 2 clowns, 2 damsels, a goby and a hood amount of CUC.

Would that be that be a better choice?
Yes, an older tank seems to be better for successful additions of anemomes. Read about treating nems for sickness in other threads on here. Some of these are routinely medicated if one hopes to keep them alive for longer than a couple of months.
That does kind of look like a long tentacle anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis), to me too. They require a deep sand bed, at least 6 inches. BTAs on the other hand attach to holes or crevices in the live rock. BTAs are significantly easier to keep than LTAs. LTAs have clear spots that run along the column of the anemone and they also have a pinkish foot, which should be buried in the sand. If a LTA gets even a miniscule tear in the foot, as sometimes happens during collection or when removing from a dealers tank, the anemone is a goner. An infection invariably sets in and the anemone will succumb. On the other hand, BTAs are much more forgiving.

What are your tank parameters in both tanks and lighting?
I enlarged the picture and it might be a bubble tip or it might be something else. Not knowing should stop folks from impulsive purchases until they research the animal and are certain they can keep it long term, imo. Sadly, my experience is that we "go for the crack," as explained above. :thinking-face:

That said, when you do get a new anemone I would encourage you to catch the clown fish that are in the tank where the nem is going and put them all in an acclimation box together and force the clowns to "find" their nem before you put the nem in the tank.

Captive bred clownfish often have no experience with a nem and they need to be introduced to get them to make it their home. Once they have made it their home, they will tend it, nip at it, boss it around and use it as their toilet which all helps improve the likelihood that the nem will thrive. It also helps captive bred clowns understand their natural instincts to dive into wavy corals and nems and will keep your LPS corals safe from clownfish invasion which can be leathal to lps. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

It's gonna look cool in your tank. Post pictures when you get one, please.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a little young for an anemone. Nearly certain that is a macrodactyla doreensis (lta). Verracue under the oral disc is an easy way to confirm. They’re very prominent in LTA’s and non- existent in bta’s

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back