OP
OP
J

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got to see him eat some dried brine shrimp. Im feeding heavy but still not touching the nori sheet. I think the reason why he hasn't been eating as much is because he still hides when he see's me. Every once in awhile he will be swimming around but when im out of the room his swimming around with my clown.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got to see him eat some dried brine shrimp. Im feeding heavy but still not touching the nori sheet. I think the reason why he hasn't been eating as much is because he still hides when he see's me. Every once in awhile he will be swimming around but when im out of the room his swimming around with my clown.
Mine very rarely touches nori.

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry, he’s just got to settle in, once the nori has been in the tank a while grind it between your fingers and it will turn into tiny bits,he might go for that as it’s smaller?

Springbok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many wild caught tangs face problems accepting food. They especially can have difficulties with the concept of free floating food as they are natural grazers. I experienced the same with my purple tang, wouldn’t eat anything. I eventually had succes with nori soaked in garlic wrapped around a frag stone at the bottom of the tank.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like they’re not an easy fish to keep. Do Tominis have the same problem? If they don’t take to nori should I continue to force feed it until it accepts it?

What about the idea of using some “dither fish” like damsels, Clowns etc.? Would that entice them into eating once they see the others eating?

BeccaBits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori on a clip at all times (so it can ‘discover’ it, and and tiny Brine Shrimp in the water column. (Then it can graduate to Mysis and more when it gets the hang of things.)
Thank you for this advice. I just got my Kole Tang, first fish that's supposed to be a Nori eater. He was picking at rocks but not taking any foods, including Nori. I took your advice and just left a hunk on the clip at all times... he didn't touch it yesterday (pistol shrimp was more than happy for the leftovers) but today, after a couple of hours, I caught him aggressively munching on it. Funny how advice can be a lifesaver years later, so, thank you!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never touches nori. Had it for over a year. Try fresh romane lettuce. A quick blanch will work. Mine cleans glass and rock.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like they’re not an easy fish to keep. Do Tominis have the same problem? If they don’t take to nori should I continue to force feed it until it accepts it?

What about the idea of using some “dither fish” like damsels, Clowns etc.? Would that entice them into eating once they see the others eating?
They are easy they just don't like nori. They like to scrape algea off stuff.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back