Getting parameters right.

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’m trying to get my parameters right for my tank my calcium usually sits at 500 but it’s down to 400 and I’m wondering is that ok or should I keep up with 500 and then my alkalinity is at 7.7 which it really stays at that which I’m not sure if I need to change that and my magnesium is at 1480 which I’m not so sure on that but I think it’s ok. My phosphates are at 1.5 which I know is pretty high. I’ve been keeping coral for two years now and all of them have been doing ok I’ve only kept lps and softies but I want to start with sps so I want to make sure my parameters are good

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to keep my alkalinity between 8.25dkH, calcium around 450ppm and magnesium around 1450ppm. That gives me a bit of wiggle room for parameters to slightly increase or decrease without falling too much below where the target is.

You should look at your nitrates as well, but for SPS you probably want to get your nitrates below 15ppm and your phosphates below 0.15ppm.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to keep my alkalinity between 8.25dkH, calcium around 450ppm and magnesium around 1450ppm. That gives me a bit of wiggle room for parameters to slightly increase or decrease without falling too much below where the target is.

You should look at your nitrates as well, but for SPS you probably want to get your nitrates below 15ppm and your phosphates below 0.15ppm.
Omg I’m sorry I forgot to do my nitrates there at 10ppm as I speak but they fluctuate.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mean .15 phosphates? 1.5 is crazy high. Everything else looks fine. I like alk in the mid 7's and calcium in the low 400's.

If po4 is really 1.5, get to work fixing that.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mean .15 phosphates? 1.5 is crazy high. Everything else looks fine. I like alk in the mid 7's and calcium in the low 400's.

If po4 is really 1.5, get to work fixing that.
Sadly it is really 1.5 what should I do to fix it? My my algae is everywhere could that be the problem? I do 11 gallon water changes every month. Should I do them more often?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly it is really 1.5 what should I do to fix it? My my algae is everywhere could that be the problem? I do 11 gallon water changes every month. Should I do them more often?

More frequent water changes would help. I'm not a big fan of continuous GFO use, but this situation is pretty much tailor made for it. Knock it down with GFO and fix the root cause before it can climb again.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More frequent water changes would help. I'm not a big fan of continuous GFO use, but this situation is pretty much tailor made for it. Knock it down with GFO and fix the root cause before it can climb again.
What would the root cause be?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems that’s 10x, yup that would bring algae, the pest k8nd.
I’d identify what is causing that, over feed, in the source water, in the mixed water, find that, correct it, then scrub the algae off, change 100% of the water over 1 week as a reset.

If you’ve found the cause, that should bring it back home.

Check your source water for Phosphate, commonly found in some tap waters. Used to keep pipes clean…..anyways….something is adding a ton of this fertilizer.

Some dry/pellet foods are high in phosphate,

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would the root cause be?

Too much input from food additions, not enough export, source water, rocks leaching. Could be a number of things. With po4 that high, I'd expect nitrates to be much higher. Something is out of whack.

GFO is great for a readjustment, but better to find that root cause rather than relying on it long term.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much input from food additions, not enough export, source water, rocks leaching. Could be a number of things. With po4 that high, I'd expect nitrates to be much higher. Something is out of whack.

GFO is great for a readjustment, but better to find that root cause rather than relying on it long term.
Ya I haven’t looked into the gfo yet I’ll definitely have to do that
Seems that’s 10x, yup that would bring algae, the pest k8nd.
I’d identify what is causing that, over feed, in the source water, in the mixed water, find that, correct it, then scrub the algae off, change 100% of the water over 1 week as a reset.

If you’ve found the cause, that should bring it back home.

Check your source water for Phosphate, commonly found in some tap waters. Used to keep pipes clean…..anyways….something is adding a ton of this fertilizer.

Some dry/pellet foods are high in phosphate,
i use a rodi unit for my water is it possible the po4 is coming through there? I’ll definitely have to test it to see I have to feed lots of clams to my snowflake eel and my grey starfish so that could be the cause. I use primarily flake food and only feed the tank with frozen every two weeks. I’m concerning doing brine shrimp but I’m not to sure if that would be any better. Also I know this is off topic but do you guys know where I can get live ghost or mysis shrimp?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO or something like Two Little Fishies Phosban-L for a more urgent remedy.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I haven’t looked into the gfo yet I’ll definitely have to do that

i use a rodi unit for my water is it possible the po4 is coming through there? I’ll definitely have to test it to see I have to feed lots of clams to my snowflake eel and my grey starfish so that could be the cause. I use primarily flake food and only feed the tank with frozen every two weeks. I’m concerning doing brine shrimp but I’m not to sure if that would be any better. Also I know this is off topic but do you guys know where I can get live ghost or mysis shrimp?
Yup, both nitrate and phosphate, depends on the source water and treatment. Seven small amounts over time build up.
Sounds like a ton of foods going in, which is fine, provided your filtration is just as aggressive, the old, heavy in, heavy out.
Iam thinking maybe a lit refuge with macro-algae to mop up more nutrients.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, both nitrate and phosphate, depends on the source water and treatment. Seven small amounts over time build up.
Sounds like a ton of foods going in, which is fine, provided your filtration is just as aggressive, the old, heavy in, heavy out.
Iam thinking maybe a lit refuge with macro-algae to mop up more nutrients.
Well that’s just it I have cheato in a refugium but it’s almost like it’s not doing anything it’s actually getting smaller. The problem also could be my protein skimmer broke two months ago and the stupid company I ordered a new one from has yet to send it uhhhhhh frustrating!!! I won’t say the name of the company but it rhymes with sulk beef supply.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I calculate how much my tank drains these supplements? I want to keep it stable and buy a dossier. But I’m unsure how to know exactly how much I need at a time.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could test and keep a dossier for free on the results..lol. Seriously though..test and log the results. This will tell you how much of what needs to be added to account foe the depletion

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell phosphat-e will bring it down fast and like others have said find root cause

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I used the phosguard 2 weeks ago and my phosphate has been a steady 0.50 which is pretty good compared to what it was!!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back