Getting ready to re-aquascape and re-build my whole system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting up again and this will be everything. I have pretty much decided to go with Triton and wondering if I can reconfigure my sump the way they recommend I currently have the refugium last before the return pump here are pictures the sump new when I got it and a pic of how it's running now. fullsizeoutput_1c58.jpeg
upload_2019-6-20_6-25-7.png

fullsizeoutput_1c58.jpeg

blazeby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I went to Triton I had the same set up like you, I simply swapped the fuge and skimmer (drain->fuge->skimmer->return) and it's been very successful so far (2+ years). Good luck!

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I went to Triton I had the same set up like you, I simply swapped the fuge and skimmer (drain->fuge->skimmer->return) and it's been very successful so far (2+ years). Good luck!
Thanks Thats what I was thinking I could just take the filter socks out and actually it gives a bigger fuge area maybe be a little craved for light where the return comes in but don't think its a problem and The fuge light is a Kessil H380

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just start your system over with a new cycle? Just would like to know your process how you went abiout everything and when u sent your first water sample in for testing.
I'm just trying to add things up and make sure I doing it right.

blazeby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not start over, went from dosing 2-part to Triton basically overnight with no issues. I did do a large water change beforehand and tested alk (so I knew how much Triton to start with). I sent in an ICP test before switching and another 2 weeks after switching. These days I ICP once every 6-9 months.

Happy to answer any questions you have.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question you said your sump was like mine when you switched ? I see the section where my Skimmer is now working good as the new refugium but the filter sock area that I marked in yellow the light won't hit there to good? Any ideas?
Sump .png

blazeby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume there's no way to remove that red sock holder frame? I think you are right, it's going to get in the way of your fuge light.

You don't think the area in pink where the skimmer is in the pic is big enough for your fuge?

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes actually that section is bigger than the section I have the fuge in now by 2" Now my concern is that the skimmer won't fit. The footprint and the measurements say it will but with the pump it's going to be a tight fit if it goes. I'm really not going to know until I actually do it. I'm pretty sure it's going to just fit but if not I would have to get creative and put the pump in the filter sock area. It would work with some red PVC. But lets hope thats not what I have to do.
As far as that return and filter sock area not sure there as it would be good to have so finding a way to keep that area alive I could mount a underwater light in there to help with the algae and like I said the section where the skimmer is now is 16"x 15" that will be around 10 gallons so when I do the math and see that with everything when I add in the reef rock there should be around 70 gallons. So I will have my 10%

blazeby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you'll be ok as long as you can make the skimmer work. It might be a shame if the filter sock area won't work as a fuge but not the end of the world, at least you can dose into there.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting ready to post a video of my method for madness lol my set-up in the garage for frags and it's just about ready for all my livestock so I can tear my old reef down and start new. I just have to get the Nitrites down don't know how but they are there and all the sw came from my main aquarium that has none.....??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you'll be ok as long as you can make the skimmer work. It might be a shame if the filter sock area won't work as a fuge but not the end of the world, at least you can dose into there.
Good news Moving the skimmer to the last section will work and I just ordered a light for the end of the sump where the filter sock holders are thats a 10" x 15" that won't get enough light from my Kessil H380 that will be over the 16" x 15" section. So when I get this done it will give me a Refugium with 14.5 gallons
upload_2019-6-29_9-20-33.png

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I've tried this question before and din't get a whole Lotta responses. And it doesn't really surprise me because it is really a personal decision I guess so why can't I make up my mind. Budget aside for now but dam I have already maxed out my first estimate. Do I go for the popular 120 gallon I would think or do I stick with the 80 gallon that I like more all though to screen I will have to have made for the top will be $$$
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OXCKPG/ref=psdc_2975461011_t2_B01JS35CWU

https://www.amazon.com/Seapora-5621...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=03684WBEC860EDS0Y9RC

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion, get the tank you want. Can always do a cheaper diy top or even some egg-crate until able to get the screen. You don’t want to look at it 6 months from now and say “I wish I got the. “

That said, I have my Marineland 180 going on 11 years. Love it. Reef ready dual overflow, never once doubted it build.

Let us know what u get

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx and your right I liked the 80 gal that yes is only 16"but that and the fact that it's a rimless and no center divider and yes I know the 120 is the same width but 24" wide vs the 18" I have now thats the part I like to just because it gives u more different designs with different types of aquascapes. We will see. Anyone have any preference on a dosing pump because I need one for dosing Triton and as much as I would like to buy top of the line $ is getting tight.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back