Aquascape Re-Arrange During Cycling

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been cycling for 3 days now I just started and I want to re-arrage part of my aquascape, Its glued together So i would have to take a piece of it out break it apart and glue it back the way I want. Will this distrub the cycle to much or should I wait will after its cycled?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glued arches play a major, major major role in totally invaded tanks = a fair warning.

Reason why: on no less than 1500 documented occasions in aiptasia threads, green hair algae threads, especially dinos threads when we try to get the keeper to simply take command over the tank and win by force cleaning, the listed excuse number one of all time is: I can’t take the rocks out of the tank, I don’t want to break my arch.

So they ride it out the next eighteen months completely wrecked, then take the entire tank down and start over, losing all the time and $, but they kept that arch lol

A tendency to view the glued scape as more important than the entire reef even if total passivity kills the reef, is my concern. I guess you being able and willing to break it now and re attach is different than the masses. Prepare to need to do that again in a few months then it won’t be an issue

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the rock is kept wet, it will not interrupt your cycle.
Thanks for the reply that’s what I was worried about. If the rock dries out a little will it kill everything and cause me a problem? Can I keep in wet with a spray bottle? I need to take it out break it apart where the superglue is

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also still have a little bit of the turbo start 900 left over. Would it be OK to add a little more after I put the rocks back in just in case

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it won’t hurt anything, air contact isn’t lethal. You’d have to dry it out for days to defeat biofilms etc.

It won’t matter if you add more bac, this isn’t an antibacterial action being contemplated. It’s harmless to bacteria.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly won't hurt to add the turbo start.

And yes, you can just spritz the rock to keep it wet. As long as it's wet, it will not interrupt the cycle.

Years back, actual ocean live rock used to be shipped in wet newspaper and 90% of the life would survive.

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it won’t hurt anything, air contact isn’t lethal. You’d have to dry it out for days to defeat biofilms etc.

It won’t matter if you add more bac, this isn’t an antibacterial action being contemplated. It’s harmless to bacteria.
Great thank you so much. Yeah, I plan on having it out for maybe an hour or two and then I’m gonna drop it right back in. I just want to rearrange some of the rocks. I built this cave that I really don’t like the way it looks and it’s too tall so it’s gonna affect the corals I wanna put in, so I’ve gotta do it now before I’m unhappy with it in six months

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I routinely drain my whole reef tank down to zero water and leave it that way 30-40 mins during cleaning runs occasionally. That’s all animals, corals, rocks etc in air for 30-40 mins non misted but I don’t have fish that would be mean. Things are moist enough to ride that timeframe without issue. Your job planned is much less insulting than that.

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I routinely drain my whole reef tank down to zero water and leave it that way 30-40 mins during cleaning runs occasionally. That’s all animals, corals, rocks etc in air for 30-40 mins non misted but I don’t have fish that would be mean. Things are moist enough to ride that timeframe without issue. Your job planned is much less insulting than that.
Good to know thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back