Getting Rid of Encrusting Favia

Bastray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first corral was a cheap favia that isn’t that great looking. I placed it in a spot in my tank that I initially envisioned would be good for LPS corals. Fast forward 2+ years and that favia has encrusted most of the rock space on that area and is starting to encroach on my acros. Also, now that I am successfully growing acros, the area it is in prime real estate for about 10 new acro frags that I would rather have there.
With it being my first coral I’m going to save some of it and let it grow on my bare bottom glass.

My question is how to I remove this from the rock. Taking the rock out is not an option. Also, it’sa fairly large space so a screwdriver in the tank to chip it off isn’t really going to work either. Anyone ever cover these with something to block the light and kill it that way?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first corral was a cheap favia that isn’t that great looking. I placed it in a spot in my tank that I initially envisioned would be good for LPS corals. Fast forward 2+ years and that favia has encrusted most of the rock space on that area and is starting to encroach on my acros. Also, now that I am successfully growing acros, the area it is in prime real estate for about 10 new acro frags that I would rather have there.
With it being my first coral I’m going to save some of it and let it grow on my bare bottom glass.

My question is how to I remove this from the rock. Taking the rock out is not an option. Also, it’sa fairly large space so a screwdriver in the tank to chip it off isn’t really going to work either. Anyone ever cover these with something to block the light and kill it that way?

A pic from multiple areas may help

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Use a wad of marine epoxy putty to cover it. It will be ugly but effective. Too bad you can't get tools in or take the rock out....

OP
OP
Bastray

Bastray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a wad of marine epoxy putty to cover it. It will be ugly but effective. Too bad you can't get tools in or take the rock out....
This is what I was thinking. I ended up adding a new rock structure to the area and honestly just covered the favia with the new rock somewhat. The new rock gives me more spots for acros and I didn’t have to kill the coral. lol

I will still likely put the epoxy on the part of the coral that is stinging my SPS to kill that off though.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back