Getting rid of filter sock?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aus1230
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

aus1230

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2025
Messages
315
Reaction score
92
Location
Austin
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my Innovative Marine 40 gallon AIO and remember reading that some people ditch the socks and just run two media baskets on each end. Anyone do this successfully without building too much detritus in the rear chamber over time or any other issues I should be wary of?
 
A lot of us in general (not just IM tanks) have removed our filter socks and use filter cups with PolyFil or filter floss instead. There are several online stores that sell 3D printed cups.

Here's one I'm working on designing one for another tank right now:

1750650796016.png
 
I don’t use socks or any mechanical filtration. Detritus that enters the sump becomes mulm, which is inert and doesn’t contribute to nutrient issues. It does benefit the tank by housing tons of beneficial bacterias and is a part of natural reef filtration in the wild. I have 1/2” - 3/4” of mulm in two chambers of my sump, and it all started as detritus
 
I don't use socks continuely, just after a water change. I siphon detritus out during a water change. A media basket is a better alternative.
 
Don’t be in a rush to drop the socks, they filter out small particles much better than floss, unless you need the space for other stuff or don’t want to deal with cleaning socks, floss is not necessarily better, it might be more convenient as it is disposable but for efficiency the socks take it.
 
Alright I am so fed up with socks.. I am getting filter cups and floss, finally!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new