Getting rid of yellow polyps

Hoffius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several rocks being over taken by yellow polyps. It is growing between zoas and getting out of control. I was thinking about removing the affected rocks and bleaching them, including the zoas. Is that okay to do and then rinse with fresh water with Prime and then dry in the sun? I really would like to reuse the rocks.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several rocks being over taken by yellow polyps. It is growing between zoas and getting out of control. I was thinking about removing the affected rocks and bleaching them, including the zoas. Is that okay to do and then rinse with fresh water with Prime and then dry in the sun? I really would like to reuse the rocks.
If you don’t mind the zoas, I’d say take em outside, scrape as best you can with a razor, spray really good with a hose, then leave to cycle in a dark saltwater bin for at least 2 weeks. That should get rid of them without having to use bleach. I’m always scared to kill stuff with harsh chemicals cause I always think they’re gonna leach back into my tank somehow. This way there’s no chemicals and minimal bacteria die off. If you plan on removing a significant amount of rock (probably 25% or more) and treating them, killing the bacteria could cause your tank to go through a mini cycle which is really not fun for the corals. I hope this helps, worked for aiptasia for me so I’m hoping it’ll work for yellow polyps too. Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Smother with Kalk as a paste

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option, if possible, remove the rocks and sell locally or trade with a LFS for credit
+1 to this. Then it’s the LFS problem to frag and sell or just sell as a rock. Either way, you get basically free money since you were gonna kill the corals anyway. Every reefer could always use a little bit of LFS credit... you could even use the credit to buy new wet live rock so it doesn’t need to cycle and already has the good bacteria

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good one to do is utilize kalk paste / aptasia x to keep the polyps at bay!

They can be invasive no doubt!

giphy.gif

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this. Then it’s the LFS problem to frag and sell or just sell as a rock. Either way, you get basically free money since you were gonna kill the corals anyway. Every reefer could always use a little bit of LFS credit... you could even use the credit to buy new wet live rock so it doesn’t need to cycle and already has the good bacteria
Bought some rasta zoas the other day this way. Guy brought a big rock covered in them. And found/bought the plug that they were grown from. They are taking their time opening :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back