Rating - 100%
13   0   0

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Patrick. Welcome to saltwater. I’m just down the road in Butte. Good luck with your new endeavor.
So @ButteMTDIY you're in Butte? I'm in Libby, MT way up in the NW corner. I was in Butte many years ago (at least 30) and had some time to kill. Went walking downtown and found this little LFS named something like The Fish Bowl. He had refrigerator magnets to give away and I got one. That magnet was on my fridge for many years and I think it still is. I'll have to check the fridge as it's in storage it's the little fridge I used in college.

OP
OP
patrickb

patrickb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hello @patrickb !!! I’m in Libby, MT. Way up in the NW corner. My mom used to go to Helena for business meetings but that’s been about 25 years now. I went with her a few times and visited a LFS that had a few salt tanks but can’t remember the name. I heard that since I’ve been there last time they got a PetCo. Is that correct? Anyway glad you’re here you’ll love it !!!! Let me or us know if there’s anything we can help you with.

Hello! Unfortunately Helena hasn't had an independent LFS in at least several years. You're right, we do have a Petco with a marine section. They don't ever have much for coral, at least that I've seen so far, but they do stock anemones and their fish stock is good and generally healthy. I started my tank with rock from theirs, actually. They do their best but have suffered quite a bit the past couple of years with staffing just like everyone else. They have a couple of new people recently and they are trying pretty hard, even hosting some fishkeeping workshops.

I have my first batch of coral coming from UC, but hope to stop by Reef Missoula soon and would love to eventually swap locally.

See you guys around!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm a fairly experienced freshwater fishkeeper that is taking the plunge into salt. If anyone is around the Helena area, let me know!

Welcome! Glad you joined. Perhaps this thread may help you find others in Helena:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

ButteMTDIY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So @ButteMTDIY you're in Butte? I'm in Libby, MT way up in the NW corner. I was in Butte many years ago (at least 30) and had some time to kill. Went walking downtown and found this little LFS named something like The Fish Bowl. He had refrigerator magnets to give away and I got one. That magnet was on my fridge for many years and I think it still is. I'll have to check the fridge as it's in storage it's the little fridge I used in college.
Yeah, the Fish Bowl closed down some years back. Blamed Petco opening but he also got into some trouble for illegally importing a baby alligator for someone. Can’t get that kind of service at Petco!

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

I think I'm the only reefer in Helena so far
Hey I know this thread is old but I am in Helena and started a reef tank in July. It has been a rough road but I think I am starting to get the hang of it. Still have a long way to go though haha. Hope your tank is doing well.

Back