Getting tired.....

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issue with my Marine Orbitz Led for my 55 gallon reef tank. Screw what you heard
image.jpeg
how does your trigger do in the tank....does he ever tear into any coral? I love them, just to nervous to keep one. :)

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I am Very Lucky I imagine. I added Tyrone (Niger Trigger) Get it??The Employees of my LFS think that's funny about 5 months ago. The only casualties were my Cleaner Shrimp and a Electric Flame Scallop. But no other nipping. I also have a File Fish and Copperband Butterfly for AIPTASIA control. Also very fortunate.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@trido
The blue channel is out on two of my OceanRevive units. I have replacement blues, just haven't opened the unit cause I'm not good at DIY. But, since I've got to get in there anyways I'm thinking would be a great time to adjust the whites too. What brand LEDs do you use and how did you space them?

Also, do you think I should replace the blues just as they were or do some tweaking?

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I am Very Lucky I imagine. I added Tyrone (Niger Trigger) Get it??The Employees of my LFS think that's funny about 5 months ago. The only casualties were my Cleaner Shrimp and a Electric Flame Scallop. But no other nipping. I also have a File Fish and Copperband Butterfly for AIPTASIA control. Also very fortunate.
lol "Tyrone"

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ trido,
So I am new to the Led thing and am still using a 150watt MH on a 40 gallon. I would love to make the switch and I am interested in SPS. So should I go black box or Kessil to lower my learing curve? My next tank is likely to be 30" x 18" x 18" with a 16" water depth. What would you recommend for that tank size? Where did you get your black box in the Seattle area and who modified the settings? I would rather use someone elses success than re-invent the wheel.

OP
OP
trido

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ trido,
So I am new to the Led thing and am still using a 150watt MH on a 40 gallon. I would love to make the switch and I am interested in SPS. So should I go black box or Kessil to lower my learing curve? My next tank is likely to be 30" x 18" x 18" with a 16" water depth. What would you recommend for that tank size? Where did you get your black box in the Seattle area and who modified the settings? I would rather use someone elses success than re-invent the wheel.
I picked my Evergrow's up from Barrier Reef in Renton. A single 24" unit should cover that size of tank rather well. I'm not against using a T-5 or an LED stunner strip on the front of a tank for better coverage.

Anthony kolodziej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use halides , but am always getting the itch to switch . I know they work . for me thats not the issue . The issue is ..... Do I really know enough about the lights to set a good spot with them and not kill corals and get good growth . That and there are so many out there . black boxes , kessil , AI , ecotech , vertex , makes my head spin . If I saw a great sps tank with huge colonies in it lit by a certain brand led . not a diy one I might pull the trigger . I am always looking for ways to make the hobby cheaper for me . ( even if its just to get the wife off my back ) lol.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked my Evergrow's up from Barrier Reef in Renton. A single 24" unit should cover that size of tank rather well. I'm not against using a T-5 or an LED stunner strip on the front of a tank for better coverage.

Thanks,
Last time I tried to drop by Barrier Reef it looked like the store was closed and the strip mall was being remodled. Are they still just off the 405 or did they move from behind the dentist office?

OP
OP
trido

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
Last time I tried to drop by Barrier Reef it looked like the store was closed and the strip mall was being remodled. Are they still just off the 405 or did they move from behind the dentist office?
They are still in the same place.

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the flexibility and efficiency of the LEDs. I agree with a lot of earlier posts about coverage. I use AI Hydra 26s on a tank that has a footprint of 60x27... I started with 3 and there was poor blending and it basically looked like 3 spotlights shining into the tank. I added a 4th and it looked much better and more even. The front and the back were still very dim though. So I added two 48" TrueLumen Marine Fusion (one front and one back) and that filled in nicely. I'm happy and my corals are happy, but I would say that AI was a bit too generous on their coverage claims. But on the "bright side" (pun intended), their PAR claims were actually very close. I confirmed them with a PAR meter.

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ trido,

Depends on your budget honestly and what you want to get out of it. Brand new 250w HQI bulbs were less than half the intensity in par of my xr30w pros. The spectrum was a lot weaker too, just now whatever you do to switch start low and go from there. Never tune with your eye. If you have a par meter that helps alot, LEDs tend to be a lot brighter than what we can see.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your budget honestly and what you want to get out of it. Brand new 250w HQI bulbs were less than half the intensity in par of my xr30w pros. The spectrum was a lot weaker too, just now whatever you do to switch start low and go from there. Never tune with your eye. If you have a par meter that helps alot, LEDs tend to be a lot brighter than what we can see.

What par meter do you recommend?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back