GFCI Adapter

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know of a plug in GFCI adapter or power strip that does not trip when power goes out? I have already bought two different types of plug-in GFCI adapters and they both trip when power goes out and you would have to manually press the reset button when power is restored. Not a good way to run a reef.

OP
OP
rmcrom

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping for an easy plugin adapter, but I may need to just replace the outlet. The outlet is on a lighting circuit with 14ga wiring so I can't use a 20A breaker.

OP
OP
rmcrom

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make your own.
Buy a gfci outlet, wire it into a small breakout box and add a male cordcap pigtail and plug it in.
My control cabinet is wired like this and each gfci is on a smart outlet for on off control.
Did you just use a standard single gang new work box and screw it to the wall inside your cabinet?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make your own.
Buy a gfci outlet, wire it into a small breakout box and add a male cordcap pigtail and plug it in.
My control cabinet is wired like this and each gfci is on a smart outlet for on off control.
^^^This , just make sure your wiring is sized accordingly, and all parts are UL listed to meet code.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use a GFCI/AFCI breaker rather than an outlet or power strip. Probably cost about the same and should work better. You could upgrade to 20 Amp service at the same time (can use same wiring and outlet in most cases).
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Siemens-QP-20-amp-1-Pole-Dual-Function-Afci-Gfci-Circuit-Breaker/1001862200
Or this ^^^ too... if wiring is only suitable for 15 amp, and you have to stick with that for now, its at least getting rid of your headache. I would have it installed by qualified electrician.

OP
OP
rmcrom

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I was concerned with being able to reach the reset button on an in-wall GFCI. This in-cabinet method will be so much better!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know of a plug in GFCI adapter or power strip that does not trip when power goes out? I have already bought two different types of plug-in GFCI adapters and they both trip when power goes out and you would have to manually press the reset button when power is restored. Not a good way to run a reef.
I looked at picking up a couple of these. I'm glad I read this thread!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I was concerned with being able to reach the reset button on an in-wall GFCI. This in-cabinet method will be so much better!
Another reason i went with outlets is because i have 12v pumps and 12v return pump so i didnt need everything on gfcis, just my heaters. And they are all on seperate gfcis (4) with a device plugged in that will send me an email if the gfci trips.
Theres also an audible alarm on the gfci when it trips.

Back