GFCI or no GFCI Poll

Is your tank protected by GFCI outlets?

• Yes, everything on my tank is plugged into a GFCI outlet

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • No, nothing on my tank is plugged into a GFCI outlet

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Some of my equipment is plugged into a GFCI outlet and some is plugged into a regular outlet

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short, I’m seriously considering removing the GFCI outlets that my tank runs on and just replacing them with standard outlets. I’ve had a lot of issues with nuisance tripping and it’s kind of come to a head tonight when I got a new pentair UV sterilizer that trips the GFCI constantly. In searching it looks like this is a common problem with the pentair UV units and the general recommendation is to use it on a non GFCI outlet.

So now I’m wondering how many people have everything protected with GFCI and how many don‘t.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short, I’m seriously considering removing the GFCI outlets that my tank runs on and just replacing them with standard outlets. I’ve had a lot of issues with nuisance tripping and it’s kind of come to a head tonight when I got a new pentair UV sterilizer that trips the GFCI constantly. In searching it looks like this is a common problem with the pentair UV units and the general recommendation is to use it on a non GFCI outlet.

So now I’m wondering how many people have everything protected with GFCI and how many don‘t.
Maybe you draw too much through one circuit.
Maybe the GFI is telling you that.
IMM, very dangerous combination without the safety trip.

OP
OP
B

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything submerged is gfci protected on my tank. Plus I use a ground probe.

The safest way would be to use 2 gfci plugs with half of your equipment on each.

Yeah, thats exactly how I have it set up now. Two GFCI circuits with half of my equipment on each.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I have tripped one and avoided an electrical shock I have been so happy that the gfi was there and tripped. The rest of the time I was annoyed that the power shut off for no good reason.

The last plug I burnt from salt spray tripped a breaker but not the gfi. I hate them but I'm not certain what the insurance company would say if I took them off of a wet installation? Maybe they would never find out but if it ever matters I expect that they would.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s usually in the building code, not for aquariums specifically, but for areas where water is present. (Bathrooms)

Insurance does not have to pay out if you act dangerously.

OP
OP
B

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you draw too much through one circuit.
Maybe the GFI is telling you that.
IMM, very dangerous combination without the safety trip.

It’s definitely not drawing too much power, and frankly a GFCI wouldn’t trip in that situation anyway. That’s what a circuit breaker is for.

Obviously the GFCI does add some safety value though.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have problems with a GCFI tripping; upgrading to a higher quality GCFI fixed the issue (when it wasn't tripping for a reason). Philosophically, why WOULDN'T you use a GCFI? I look at that and a grounding probe as essential safety equipment.

OP
OP
B

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Philosophically, why WOULDN'T you use a GCFI? I look at that and a grounding probe as essential safety equipment.

I agree that they have big safety benefits and in a perfect world there is no reason not to use one. However, nuisance tripping can be a big problem. If the whole tank is plugged into a single GFCI then it could kill the tank if it trips while no one is there to notice and reset it.

Obviously this can be mitigated at least to some extent by using multiple GFCI’s and redundant equipment, but it can still cause problems. This is the path that I had taken.

However, now I have a piece of equipment that simply always trips the GFCI no matter what and from the threads I’ve read on it it seems like there’s not really much of a solution. One member worked with the manufacturer for months and had four different ballasts sent to him and they all tripped the GFCI. So now I’m stuck with the choice of not using that equipment (and I don’t believe that BRS will take it back because it’s already been wet) or having at least some of my equipment on a non protected outlet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its tripping, there is a problem. Fix the problem, not the indicator.
Safety is priority #1. Imo.

Until yesterday I would have said exactly the same thing. But from the research I’ve done last night I have discovered that apparently metal halide ballasts are often incompatible with GFCI outlets because of the way they operate. And apparently the UV light is metal halide with a ballast that just doesn’t work with GFCI outlets. It’s not that there’s a problem, it’s just that the ballast will trip the GFCI even when things are operating normally and correctly.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate GFCI outlets... many of them are junk. Much better to run GFCI at the circuit breaker.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate GFCI outlets... many of them are junk. Much better to run GFCI at the circuit breaker.
I would agree; I used to use a GCFI in a power cord, and the uisance tripping happened occasionally. I now use one that covers both plugs, and haven't had issues. I suspect that a formal circuit breaker GCFI would be even more stable based on what I've read.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have been removing them in my house since I moved in. Some Jiboni must be writing the new code because my new house has a GFI on every circuit and most of the breakers are also GFIs.

I know people here call them GFCIs but in the trade they are called GFIs. Electricians like to shorten things and we electricians know about shorts. :rolleyes:

A GFI receptacle will be very sensitive on a GFI breaker and there is a thing about being to sensitive or to safe. It's also stupid and a waste of money and time as it won't work correctly. You could use that money for Prizapro.

I removed them from all my outdoor receptacles because they don't mix with Christmas lights in the rain.

There is no reason to have them in places where it is dry and they cause unnecessary tripping and at my age, I have to be careful about tripping. :confused:

Just now I am listening to the weather and they predict snow for tomorrow, my GFIs heard that and started tripping already. :unsure:

I was a construction electrician foreman in Manhattan for 40 years and once we had another foreman on a job. It was a fairly large job probably fifty million and he spent the first few weeks building barriers, installing GFIs, caution signs etc, which is fine. But you also have to get the building built.

If you spend virtually all your time and money on safety, and never do any actual work, what is the point of going to work. :cool:
He got fired.

Of course you have to work safe, but you also have to get the job done eventually. Construction work is dangerous, get over it.

I was a Sargent in Viet Nam and the only safety equipment we had was a steel helmet. Of course we could completely encase our solders in steel and hang lion fish spines all over them but that may not be practical except in rare instances. ;Meh

I have them on some circuits on my tank,but not things that are not submerged. They are on the heaters and pumps but not on my lights. I also use a few different circuits on my tank.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Believe your only supposed to have one gfi per circut. This redundant gfi per circuit is not needed and will cause more trips. I also hate them and they have wasted more time and money in my life. Im a dock and Seawall builder. I work in water and install boat lifts. I will say the new gfi are much better than the one ten years ago. My tanks been running for 20 years, no gfi. However I have one at the breaker box on my hot tub. And in my wife’s bathroom.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
paul i know what you mean...my house is 7 yrs old...every bedroom lighting /outlet 15a circuit has an arc fault breaker....and all the 20s that go to the kitchen, laundry, bathrooms,outside and under the house have gfi outlets....think the refrigerator outlets are the only things not on a gfi or arc fault....and like anything with electronics involved eventually they will fail...the new ones in my shop tripped a lot and failed in under a year (pro installed) and the ones i replaced them from lowes have been fine....thats why you're better off having multiple circuits feeding your tank cause you know eventually ones gonna trip or go bad....i think the electronics in them generates a little heat cause i had one fail that was full of tiny dead bugs like something crawled in and laid eggs in a warm place...when i was probably 16 someone gave me a molded plastic 10 gallon with molded plastic cover and incandescent lite (think 60's tank) and it was my first salt tank with stuff i netted out of the canal behind my house...it was on a stand below a 20 high....well the airstone spray put water inside the cover which dripped off the back cause the cover overhung the tank...right onto the rats nest of wires and 3 into one adapters on the floor....the fire partially melted the tank and charred the carpet a bit but i heard it sizzling and i guess unplugged it (50 yrs ago so details fuzzy) but if i hadnt been home coulda burned my moms house down....so yes i use gfi's....

Last edited:
Back