GFCI Outlet Question

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Joined
Jan 26, 2011
Messages
608
Reaction score
596
Location
Kingston, TN
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m bored waiting on my tank to deliver, so I thought I would go ahead and replace my outlet with a GFCI. I’ve never really noticed this before, but some are labeled self-testing and some are not. That doesn’t have any bearing on our equipment, right? It doesn’t kick off for a second or make it any more or less reliable, does it?
 
The leviton brand ones may have some reliability issues. Most reports of problems were replaced with another brand or regular gfci with no further problems. It may be technology not ready for prime time or a bad run of product or sometimes problems with installation or use. Personally i only use the regular gfci 20 amp receptacles. Hopefully your circuit is 20 amp/12 gauge wire already.
 
The leviton brand ones may have some reliability issues. Most reports of problems were replaced with another brand or regular gfci with no further problems. It may be technology not ready for prime time or a bad run of product or sometimes problems with installation or use. Personally i only use the regular gfci 20 amp receptacles. Hopefully your circuit is 20 amp/12 gauge wire already.
Yes, it is 20 amp and 12 gauge. And of course, the one that you don’t recommend is exactly the one that I purchased. I’m going to return it for a regular one because it’s keeps nagging me - and I can test it myself. Thank you!
 
UL requires all new GFCIs to be self testing. That does not mean older models can’t be sold. The self test does not trip the mechanism, it tests the comparator to ensure it would. That said, as far as I know, most are now built to trip of they fail the test. They will also not set if they fail.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new