GFO bag vs Media Reactor

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon Biocube. I have chemi pure blue as my only chemical filtration. I need to start using gfo. Should I go the passive way and put gfo in a media bag on top of the chemi pure (in the back chamber under mechanical filtration) or put it in a reactor? Also, would putting in a reactor eventually pay for itself in gfo costs?

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you could get/build inexpensive chaeto Refugium/reactor to control P04 & NO3? Natural method that has many benefits to your aquarium.
I can, but the cost is not worth modifying the sump of the AIO. It’s cheaper and more effective going the GFO route

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had AIO tanks I would use a Lanthanum Chloride product like TM Elimi-Phos to control PO4. It works well and is very cost effective on small tanks.

I always found the AIO chambers too limiting, and could not stuff enough GFO in the small chamber to really get the numbers where I wanted them. I also determined the awkwardly lit tiny refugiums and skimmer options for AIO's to not be very effective compared to full sized equipment you can have with a sump.

Once you figure out a maintenance dose of LACL and confirm with a weekly test, it is easier to drop the PO4, and much easier to maintain a certain level as compared to trying to use GFO in a rear chamber. You do need a skimmer to use it though...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had AIO tanks I would use a Lanthanum Chloride product like TM Elimi-Phos to control PO4. It works well and is very cost effective on small tanks.

I always found the AOI chambers too limiting, and could not stuff enough GFO in the small chamber to really get the numbers where I wanted them. I also determined the awkwardly lit tiny refugiums and skimmer options for AIO's to not be very effective compared to full sized equipment you can have with a sump.

Once you figure out a maintenance dose of LACL and confirm with a weekly test, it is easier to drop the PO4, and much easier to maintain a certain level as compared to trying to use GFO in a rear chamber. You do need a skimmer to use it though...
I considered LaCl but I’d prefer a more consistent lower level instead of dosing it after it rises a bunch. What was your range of phosphate?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can, but the cost is not worth modifying the sump of the AIO. It’s cheaper and more effective going the GFO route
Very happy to hear that you have considered the alternatives - sign of an experienced reefer and one that makes good choices!

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered LaCl but I’d prefer a more consistent lower level instead of dosing it after it rises a bunch. What was your range of phosphate?
I am a huge believer in consistency, which is why I still use the LACL over GFO in my large tank. I test weekly and my PO4 stays between .03 and .05 with a weekly maintenance dose. It's also very easy to tweak the dose slightly if I see any drift.

GFO seemed clumsier to me. I put fresh media in and my levels were going up and down as it got used up. I'm not sure if it's better in a reactor, but in a bag, It would drop PO4, sometimes too low, then I had to pull the bag out. Also would find out it was used up by a quick rise in PO4, followed by media replacement and another drop, and around it went...

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to use gfo, why not try in a bag and see how it goes? Just start very slowly by using a small portion of gfo.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to use gfo, why not try in a bag and see how it goes? Just start very slowly by using a small portion of gfo.
What I was considering, but if I could save money on shipping and get them both at the same time, I would save a few bucks. but its not that big of a deal. I'll probably just experiment with a bag first

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was considering, but if I could save money on shipping and get them both at the same time, I would save a few bucks. but its not that big of a deal. I'll probably just experiment with a bag first
FYI: I use 180 micron fine mesh bags from amazon for GFO. If I use any larger mesh, gfo gets through.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back