GFO only in a BRS mini reactor?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ordered this reactor for my 40g and should be receiving it today. In the description, it says it can run carbon and gfo, so I assumed I could use it just for gfo. After doing some research, in some BRS videos it says the reactor is too small for gfo only, while in the product questions, the site says you can use gfo alone. Before I put it in the water, I could use some advice from those of you who have one. Have you had success running only gfo?? Thanks in advance for your help!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it the same one I bought, I run about 1/3 full of GFO. After a day or 3 I have to open it up and rinse the sponge.
Good to know. The product description was confusing to me. The gfo clogs the sponge?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use my mini, but for carbon on my bigger tank!

When I did use it for GFO on my biocube I found the same issue as daddy-o. I bought some finer sponges(forget where now), and it worked way better, and the sponge didn't get clogged up.

I got mine so long ago it came with an mj-1200 pump, so can't comment on the sicce pump, but they are well made pumps.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use my mini, but for carbon on my bigger tank!

When I did use it for GFO on my biocube I found the same issue as daddy-o. I bought some finer sponges(forget where now), and it worked way better, and the sponge didn't get clogged up.

I got mine so long ago it came with an mj-1200 pump, so can't comment on the sicce pump, but they are well made pumps.
Thanks! I might decide to run carbon and gfo together if the gfo alone causes problems.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the GFO should tumble and the carbon should not. I couldnt figure how to do this at the same time.
The GFO doesn't have to tumble if it's mixed with carbon. You pack it like carbon only. Tumbling GFO is just to prevent it from becoming solidified.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure now but BRS use to have a video on how to use the mini with GFO and carbon right on the mini's product page.

As stated already above, you just mix the 2 and don't allow it to tumble. Basically with the carbon granules mixed in between the GFO, there is no need to tumble the GFO like in a normal reactor, as the carbomn keeps it from clumping.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Not sure now but BRS use to have a video on how to use the mini with GFO and carbon right on the mini's product page.

As stated already above, you just mix the 2 and don't allow it to tumble. Basically with the carbon granules mixed in between the GFO, there is no need to tumble the GFO like in a normal reactor, as the carbomn keeps it from clumping.
i normally use chemipure carbon. I can just take it out of the bag and put it in with the gfo?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the new reagent and my po4 tested at .18, which is much lower. I thought the old reagent was bad, but when I did a test with it, the number dropped to 0.08. I did a 5g gallon water change over the weekend and dosed 40ml of Dr. Tim’s Waste Away, which I’ve been using for a few weeks and working up to the full dose. If these numbers are right, I don’t need a gfo reactor. Can Waste Away work that well over the course of a week? I’m glad the numbers have dropped, but I can’t really explain it. There’s very little algae in the tank to drive the number down. I cleaned out the return pump, skimmer, overflow, and filter sock, but I don’t think that could explain that much of a drop either. I’ll test again in a few days. I’m pretty careful with testing so I don’t think there’s too much test error going on, but I honestly don’t know what’s going on.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back