GFO overdose?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there are incidents were very large amounts can have an effect on alkalinity, although personally I haven't encountered this in any noticeable way using Rhowaphos which is what I use.

The effects of to much would certainly strip the system of phosphate and although you don't want a reading of absolute zero, which would not be good, you want it fairly low at around 0.03ppm depending on what your trying to achieve in your system

If my Hanna checker reads 0, im happy as it has a margin of error of +/- 0.04 and with my bioload its not likely to be zero at any time.

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!
I have a reactor for gfo, but it's rated up to 500g. My little 125 DT is way to small even with a 75g sump.
Too bad. I love this reactor.

David

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!
I have a reactor for gfo, but it's rated up to 500g. My little 125 DT is way to small even with a 75g sump.
Too bad. I love this reactor.

David
Well just put less GFO in to the reactor if you have that already?

I dont think it matters in the reactor size, it’s the amount of GFO in it that could cause issues

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that the flow rate is the factor.
I bought it for a 300g build that I changed my mind. I doubt I'd get half my money back if I sold it.
I might just keep it and have a really cool bio pellet reactor.

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I could mix the bio pellets and gfo to lower the effects of the gfo. Sounds logical..

David

Thingsibuild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just slow the flow and add less gfo. If you put half of the recommended gfo in reactor and crank the flow up it's not going to strip your water. It can only take so much out at any given time.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals need a certain level of phosphates. You do not want phosphates to be zero. The usual recommendation is something a bit under .03 ppm for phosphates. If phosphates are too low such as functionally zero, corals will not grow and can decline and die.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that the flow rate is the factor.
I bought it for a 300g build that I changed my mind. I doubt I'd get half my money back if I sold it.
I might just keep it and have a really cool bio pellet reactor.

For flow all you need is a gentile tumblr of the gfo. Size of the canister doesn’t matter. Material, however does. I have one rated for a 200g on my 700gallon and use it only as my po4 gets above 0.10. I prefer keeping it around 0.04, but I feed ALOT so it creeps up on me occasionally. No harm has been done to any of my corals and I’ve let it get to 0.30 before. Laziness and lack of testing did that. Lol

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bashsea told me not to run the reator because the amount of gfo doesn't matter as much as the turn over rate, or flow.
But I have it, so I think you guys convinced me. Im going to at least try it out and see how it goes. Besides, this reactor looks So dang Cool! So that alone should be the deciding factor, right?? :cool:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back