Gfo / reactor

Shtiff1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I run a Reactor with GFO will it reduce my phosphates, which are .36, and reduce my nitrates, which are 7?

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO will reduce your phosphates for sure. On my 56 is did help with my nitrates as well.. The hard part for me was coming up with the right amount of GFO to keep the Phosphates down.

OP
OP
Shtiff1

Shtiff1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I'll figure it out, amount wise, just wasn't sure if would be worth it. If it would remove to much from the tank. Nutrient wise. Do Alot of people use them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Rockhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with about a 1/4 cup of gfo and let it start to work I found out that really strips the water if you go at it to hard at first IMO, also get some chetto and put it in your sump to get out nitrates

OP
OP
Shtiff1

Shtiff1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I put chaeto in the sump, or another type of algae, which I have an area behind my skimmer, does it need light? If so how much.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

gonpostal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you'll have to light it but you don't need anything fancy, just one of those clip-on lights from Lowes. Here's an article that might help. A lot of people light their sump/fuge when their display tank lights are off, it's plenty of light for the chaeto and it helps mitigate pH swings since pH usually drops at night.

OP
OP
Shtiff1

Shtiff1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you'll have to light it but you don't need anything fancy, just one of those clip-on lights from Lowes. Here's an article that might help. A lot of people light their sump/fuge when their display tank lights are off, it's plenty of light for the chaeto and it helps mitigate pH swings since pH usually drops at night.

How long does the light have to stay on?
Can I also put it in my tank?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

gonpostal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light can stay on an opposite schedule as your tank lights, leave it on the whole time your tank lights are off.
I suppose you can put it in your tank if you want to but I wouldn't recommend it. The lighting isn't going to be ideal for it, little strands would probably break off and get everywhere and I'm not sure how fast it would grow. That approach also wouldn't do anything for pH swings if that matters to you.

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you could but I would not put chaeto in my display tank. I run my man light 9 hours a day and my dump list they other 15, so my is being listing 15 hours a a day. Some people will leave the light on 24/7.

If you don't want to run a light in your sump, you could also try a few of the different dosing methods to reduce your Phos and Nitrate. Red Sea and Dr Tim makes products for reducing this, Red Sea Tells you not to run GFO. GFO is not cheap and I was replacing mine every 2 weeks (I ran in mixed with Carbon on my 56) I have a dual reactor now for my 75.

in my option cheato alone will not totally fix the issue. You will more than likely being doing something else on top of that. I battled it big time in my 56.

I ran cheato, I ran a GFO reactor and it took me months to get them down. I did by weekly water changes and started feed 1/3 less at each feeding and I was able to get Nitrates down under 2 and Phosphates down just about 1, I started at abut 15 on Phosphates and 40 on Nitrates.

Anyways good luck and keep us posted on how you try to win the fight. I still think water changes are you first deference and watch you feeding. Dont feed flake and if your going pellet make it a good brand. I'd prefer to stick to frozen foods and yes I rinse mine.

OP
OP
Shtiff1

Shtiff1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try chaeto in the sump w/light. Never had any issues with Ph. Start more through water changes, blowing off rock, sand bed, etc. Cut down on feeding. I feed my own food, seafood medley. I'm trying to stay away from dosing anything, the less the better. I'll try to be all natural. I'll let you know. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back