GFO repurpose

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to change the GFO from a media reactor. Does anyone know if you can repurchase GFO? If so, for what purposes?
I was thinking rinsing and later using it in my garden or lawn. Tell me what you think.

wilsonline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dissolve it in HCl it creates Ferric Chloride and you can use it to acid etch high carbon tool steel. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but it’s a good use of it. ;)
too much work to maintain high carbon steel free of rust lol
By the way, I just got a cheap folder a Ganzo in D2. Hope it doesn't rust on me.

wilsonline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to change the GFO from a media reactor. Does anyone know if you can repurchase GFO? If so, for what purposes?
I was thinking rinsing and later using it in my garden or lawn. Tell me what you think.
I toss my active carbon in the plant's soil. But have no idea if that helps or not. Now I will toss both carbon and gfo. haha We will see.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
too much work to maintain high carbon steel free of rust lol
By the way, I just got a cheap folder a Ganzo in D2. Hope it doesn't rust on me.

If you etch it in Ferric Chloride it will make a protective layer that helps prevent oxidation. You can then toss it in a rock tumbler with some gravel and get that “stone washed” finish people seem to enjoy. ;)

Sure can get a razor edge on some O1 tool steel though.... D2 is nice stuff too!

OP
OP
AltitudeAquarium

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the Rocky Mountains. The soils on the flat portions are low in iron. So, I thought adding GFO would be beneficial. I think after rinsing, the little bit of saltwater would not cause harm and maybe the beneficial bacteria would inoculate the soil.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back