GFO vs. Aluminum Oxide

ThePriceSeliger

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2014
Messages
306
Reaction score
62
Location
Denver, CO
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 6 months I've been using BRS high capacity GFO, but I feel like its too fine grain for my media reactor(IM mid-size) and slows the flow down drastically. I switched to SeaChem Phosguard as it doesn't clog my reactors as badly, but I haven't noticed significant performance from either.

What are the pros and cons of each?
 
Both work, if you use an appropriate amount and replace it soon enough.

GFO is usually somewhat more expensive and can release some iron tot he system. That iron can cause precipitation of calcium carboante on or downstream of the GFO. The iron may also supply iron to good things (macroalgae, corals, etc) and bad things (cyanobacteria).

Aluminum oxide can release aluminum, which has been known to irritate certain corals, such as leathers. There's soem debate whether this released aluminum is very fine particulate or individual aluminum ions. In a sense it doesn't matter, but I think it may be both. People doing Triton testing can now often detect the aluminum rise in their water when using aluminum oxide binders or other objects. It is also larger sized media, which can be an advantage.

I've used both, and if you do not see any irritated corals, either choice may be fine. I currently use GFO and not aluminum oxide. I also dose soluble iron.

These have more:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/chem.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/chem.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/chem.htm
 
You realize this is a 10 year old thread, and the OP has not been on in eight years?
I absolutely do. I was pointing Becky to your response here because we had a similar discussion re: gfo vs. gao earlier this morning.
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley the gao media you’ve used, where do you get it? I need to buy in large quantities as the small bags made by seachen are too expensive. Have any leads that sell in granular shape? I’ve found powder form but I am sure is not ok for reef use. Thanks for any info you can share 🤙🏼
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley the gao media you’ve used, where do you get it? I need to buy in large quantities as the small bags made by seachen are too expensive. Have any leads that sell in granular shape? I’ve found powder form but I am sure is not ok for reef use. Thanks for any info you can share 🤙🏼

I’ve bought my GFO from BRS. There are many brands, and I think most are something called Bayoxide E33. Most folks have found that they cannot readily get it diy in amounts they actually want to buy.
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley the gao media you’ve used, where do you get it? I need to buy in large quantities as the small bags made by seachen are too expensive. Have any leads that sell in granular shape? I’ve found powder form but I am sure is not ok for reef use. Thanks for any info you can share 🤙🏼

I’ve bought my GFO from BRS. There are many brands, and I think most are something called Bayoxide E33. Most folks have found that they cannot readily get it diy in amounts they actually want to buy.
I am looking for aluminum oxide pellets not the iron oxide 🧐
 
I am looking for aluminum oxide pellets not the iron oxide 🧐

Oh, that’s what you meant by gao. I thought it was a typo for GFO. There are other hobby beans such as Kent phosphate sponge, but I’ve not looked into diy materials. Don’t just get chunks of aluminum oxide as it won’t have the high surface area needed.
 
I am looking for aluminum oxide pellets not the iron oxide 🧐
You'll want to search under "activated alumina desiccant". Look for BASF200, 1/8th".

Compressor Shop carries it.

Happy Reefing
 
I am looking for aluminum oxide pellets not the iron oxide 🧐

Oh, that’s what you meant by gao. I thought it was a typo for GFO. There are other hobby beans such as Kent phosphate sponge, but I’ve not looked into diy materials. Don’t just get chunks of aluminum oxide as it won’t have the high surface area needed.
Thanks. 🤙🏼😊
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new