GFPP bulkheads and PVC

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was just pricing bulkheads and noticed GFPP options alongside PVC at the supplier I was browsing. The GFPP bulkheads are threaded but the staff could not tell me if they were compatible with PVC.

Does anyone know if threaded GFPP bulkheads are compatible with threaded PVC pipe fittings of the same size? Or is 2" GFPP pipe different than 2" PVC pipe?

Has anyone used GFPP bulkheads with PVC pipe in an aquarium application? Any reason to avoid? The price difference is substantial.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was just pricing bulkheads and noticed GFPP options alongside PVC at the supplier I was browsing. The GFPP bulkheads are threaded but the staff could not tell me if they were compatible with PVC.

Does anyone know if threaded GFPP bulkheads are compatible with threaded PVC pipe fittings of the same size? Or is 2" GFPP pipe different than 2" PVC pipe?

Has anyone used GFPP bulkheads with PVC pipe in an aquarium application? Any reason to avoid? The price difference is substantial.
If the PP fitting is threaded it will be compatible with any plastic. Just use the correct thread sealant.
The problem with polypropylene compatibility is when you try to glue it.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the PP fitting is threaded it will be compatible with any plastic. Just use the correct thread sealant.
The problem with polypropylene compatibility is when you try to glue it.

Awesome! Do you have any idea about GFPP in a reef setting? Trouble with uv light or other reasons to avoid it? It lists higher working pressure and the cost is a lot less from the same manufacturer. Not sure if I am missing something. I've already done some plumbing in PVC so that part is set but if I can save with the GFPP bulkheads that would be a win

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Do you have any idea about GFPP in a reef setting? Trouble with uv light or other reasons to avoid it? It lists higher working pressure and the cost is a lot less from the same manufacturer. Not sure if I am missing something. I've already done some plumbing in PVC so that part is set but if I can save with the GFPP bulkheads that would be a win
Its likely cheaper cause less goes into making it.
Its supposed to be more flexible but PP degrades rapidly when exposed to UV light.

I would just stick to the pvc bulkheads in all honesty.
PP needs to be welded like acrylic if you decide to do nonthreaded

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its likely cheaper cause less goes into making it.
Its supposed to be more flexible but PP degrades rapidly when exposed to UV light.

I would just stick to the pvc bulkheads in all honesty.
PP needs to be welded like acrylic if you decide to do nonthreaded

Ooh that's no good

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back