GHA after Cyano

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 weeks ago I treated cyano with chemiclean and had very little GHA. Now today the cyano is gone but everything is covered in GHA even though my nutrients have remained low, phosphates at 0 and nitrates at 5. Yesterday I performed a deep cleaning of the sump emptying the water with a shop vac (there was a lot of detritus) and cleaned the filter roller and skimmer and return pumps along with a 15% water change. The tank was set up November 2020 and this is the first time I’ve dealt with cyano and algae issues. I’m trying to reduce water changes and began the moonshiners method about a month ago. Any ideas how I can stop and reduce this growth? I have an rodi unit and my last ICP test last month show 0 nitrates and phosphates in the RO and my meter is reading 0tds.

5DCFD442-D790-44FF-AC7E-1D902A245447.jpeg 2A57B855-F670-40A3-8184-C130DD2BBC82.jpeg B5B4AEE0-4EBF-463A-83B5-C50A5FF9C6EC.jpeg

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably provided a lot of available nutrients and trace elements by killing off the Cyano, cleaning the sump, and adding stuff per the Moonshiner's method. The Hair Algae explosion is the result. It may be a temporary thing. I would scrub it off and remove what I could to export some nutrients. If it doesn't go away on its own in a few weeks, getting something to compete for the available nutrients down will help. Carbon dosing, some Bacteria in a Bottle like MB7, Cheato or other Macroalgae in a lighted sump, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back