GHA eradication algaecide

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently battling GHA in one of my frag tanks, and im planing on using api algaefix. Bit I'm also wondering if totalpond algaecide would would work and be coral safe? I'm a waterscape artist/koi pond guy so i have literal gallons on hand.

I have a feeling it's basically the same stuff. Just wondering if anybody can confirm or have used it.
Thanks

P.S I know what my nutrient levels are, and they are that way on purpose and for a reason.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently battling GHA in one of my frag tanks, and im planing on using api algaefix. Bit I'm also wondering if totalpond algaecide would would work and be coral safe? I'm a waterscape artist/koi pond guy so i have literal gallons on hand.

I have a feeling it's basically the same stuff. Just wondering if anybody can confirm or have used it.
Thanks

P.S I know what my nutrient levels are, and they are that way on purpose and for a reason.
Algaecides are often best used as last resorts. Those two are literally the same thing, at least in terms of active ingredients.

I would recommend scrubbing and buffing up CUC first, as many times Algaecides are often more of a band aid fix or for tanks that are very overrun and not a permanent solution.

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algaecides are often best used as last resorts. Those two are literally the same thing, at least in terms of active ingredients.

I would recommend scrubbing and buffing up CUC first, as many times Algaecides are often more of a band aid fix or for tanks that are very overrun and not a permanent solution.
I'm at the last resort point. I have about three times the recommended amount of cleanup crew and between that and scrubbing it doesn't make a whole lot of a difference. Especially since most of the algae is in the frag rack where I can't scrub very well. And a band-aid fix is fine. Like I said I have gallons of it I could dose for years before I need to buy more.

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So it should be safe to use? I had assumed the active ingredients where the same but d inactive ingredients or what I was curious about as far as safety goes

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the last resort point. I have about three times the recommended amount of cleanup crew and between that and scrubbing it doesn't make a whole lot of a difference. Especially since most of the algae is in the frag rack where I can't scrub very well. And a band-aid fix is fine. Like I said I have gallons of it I could dose for years before I need to buy more.
the issue isn't the cost, it can irrate corals and create other issues with the tank.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef flux works wonders, but recommend having some chemi clean for after to fight the inevitable cyano outbreak. Did my 125 wonders

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't say 100%, but it should be good.
My main concern is irritating the corals about, from what it sounds like if I start with a micro dose like a half ml per 40 gallons and go from there, I should be able to determine if it's negatively impacting the corals before it becomes a real issue. Thanks for the help. I'll post an update in about a week or two or if there's a dramatic result good or bad

reeferalex21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you a few weeks back. Tried everything and the algae was starting to kill corals.

More water changes, reduce nutrients through NOPOX and GFO, beef up clean up crew, add a Tang. Nothing worked.

Finally bit the bullet and dosed Reef RX. This stuff completely eliminated all of my algae. Only negative side effect is now there is nothing for the snails to eat.

I did notice some diatoms form on the sand bed but that was it. I am now dosing Microbacter.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread is an amazing testimony to completely being on the hook for retail purchases to survive any reefing challenge.

one doser for this, another doser for that, no control / only guesses, ouch. anyone here who is reefing at 40 gallons and under has a way off this wheel

anyone reefing above forty gallons likely would not want to use our way to clean the reef and fix these invasions without purchases, they'd stay on the wheel most likely. any nano reef can be made to force comply with invasion issues because at that gallonage, cleaning them out correctly isn't all that hard. it's hard for a 300 gallon owner, nano reefers are choosing to be invaded/that could be reversed based on tank size, actually, we show in 100 page threads

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got any challenges they want to fix live time here w no dosers

Post the full tank picture

Just closed out a gha fix recently... done as mentioned by deep cleaning. Humu's thread on gha in the nuisance algae forum... It's up at the top with his after pics and we can easily follow tank updates here on out to see how the long game runs.

His tank was an easy nano reef fix... let's see a mid size reef~ 40 gallons or so challenge, we can compare results in 48 hours to these dosers.

We can then compare 8 week follow up pics to the for- purchase methods and see which is better.

Post up some gha, cyano or dinos challenges for the no dose public fix run.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

Just remember algaecides bind to your substrate and rock, so once dosed they are going to bite you down the track.

I personally would not go there.

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember algaecides bind to your substrate and rock, so once dosed they are going to bite you down the track.

I personally would not go there.
It's a bare bottom with a few 1 oz pieces of live rock that currently have corals on them. Nothing really there for it to bind too

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you a few weeks back. Tried everything and the algae was starting to kill corals.

More water changes, reduce nutrients through NOPOX and GFO, beef up clean up crew, add a Tang. Nothing worked.

Finally bit the bullet and dosed Reef RX. This stuff completely eliminated all of my algae. Only negative side effect is now there is nothing for the snails to eat.

I did notice some diatoms form on the sand bed but that was it. I am now dosing Microbacter.
I'll look into reef Rx

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a sea hare and it will be clean in a week.. I have one I gotta trade off now! Dudes a cow and mows it down lol.. he’s gonna starve if I don’t..
I had one but it couldn't get into the rack well enough and started starving so i sold it. Now i can't find another one for a reasonable price locally. You wouldn't, by any chance be in the central Texas area would you?

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It claims to be the same material as Vibrant and Algaefix.

Note also that the label says to not use if crustaceans are present
Only crustaceans are dwarf hermits. I can move them out if needed. And i plan on starting an a micro dose and increasing from there. Do you think it would be safe/ effective

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

Hi !
I'd recommend a tang especially from the species zebrasoma or ctenocheatus but if your aquarium is too small, you can buy a small one then exchange it, when it grows out the tank.

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi !
I'd recommend a tang especially from the species zebrasoma or ctenocheatus but if your aquarium is too small, you can buy a small one then exchange it, when it grows out the tank.
This tank really isn't set up for fish. Especially tangs. The only fish that I use in my production tanks are black mollies. In my other tanks that have little to no nuisance algae they are perfect. It's just this one is too much for them to handle

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%

Back