Jamiem1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys

Fluval Evo 13.5g tank.

Just going through a rough patch but I don't know the cause.

Firstly, I do not know my parameters as I am currently not in a position to buy a new kit, but I do weekly 10 litre change outs as I know that's a good way to keep things stable regardless.

Have only GSP (2 forms), some Zoa's and Kenya Trees. Have a clown and sailfin and a smallish CUC of tuxedo, boxer shrimp and a few snails (LFS not have any in stock till next week).

I only feed half a cube every 2-3 days so don't over feed.

Causes which it could be -

Sun is now lower in the sky so it shines through where my blinds join for about an hour mid afternoon around 3pm

Too long light setting (have the Penny-wise I believe currently)

Water from LFS not being perfect

Now one of the GSPs has really grown very fast whilst the other is slowing down and hasn't opened for about a week. I know they don't need much care but could it be they're taking too much nutrients from the water? I have no clue as I don't get the science behind it all

Could it also just be a stage that it's going through. Tank is about 20 months so unlikely?

Thoughts please as I'd like to sort it if at all possible.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be any of the reasons that you have listed above yourself :)

1) Sun is now lower in the sky so it shines through where my blinds join for about an hour mid afternoon around 3pm
- Close the blinds and see if it helps!

2) Too long light setting (have the Penny-wise I believe currently)
- Change the light settings / keep the light off for a couple of days.

3) Water from LFS not being perfect
- Ask the LFS to test the water before bringing it home. It is a perfectly reasonable request!

Only to one of above at once -
If you're doing more than one, there's no knowing which one did the trick.

Whenever you're in a position where you can, get yourself a test kit for nitrate and phosphate! :relieved-face: Charterhouse Aquatics sells the Salifert ones for £10..

Last edited:

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need to test nitrate and phosphate.
Try and post a picture if you can under white light to give an idea on how much algae you are dealing with .

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a test kit is really invaluable in this hobby. Do you have a salinity tester?

Getting water from the LFS might indeed be part of the problem, we see so many posts from folks with weird issue's that get water from the LFS. A rodi unit is another invaluable tool in this hobby. RO Buddy is small and inexpensive.

I personally don't believe in starving the fish as a means to control algae, there are many other ways to control it.

What kind of light do you have? A light with wrong color spectrum can increase algae growth.

What size is the tank? Pictures would really help us to offer more comment, you did not give many clue's.

OP
OP
J

Jamiem1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a test kit is really invaluable in this hobby. Do you have a salinity tester?

Getting water from the LFS might indeed be part of the problem, we see so many posts from folks with weird issue's that get water from the LFS. A rodi unit is another invaluable tool in this hobby. RO Buddy is small and inexpensive.

I personally don't believe in starving the fish as a means to control algae, there are many other ways to control it.

What kind of light do you have? A light with wrong color spectrum can increase algae growth.

What size is the tank? Pictures would really help us to offer more comment, you did not give many clue's.
Hi there, size tank is in first line of the post, fluval Evo 13.5g.

Light have the ai prime hd. Been running that for past 6 months, teething problems at first as coming from stock light, but settled down.

Yes to salinity checker, it's about 1.027/28 stable

Will get a pic in a minute

OP
OP
J

Jamiem1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be any of the reasons that you have listed above yourself :)

1) Sun is now lower in the sky so it shines through where my blinds join for about an hour mid afternoon around 3pm
- Close the blinds and see if it helps!

2) Too long light setting (have the Penny-wise I believe currently)
- Change the light settings / keep the light off for a couple of days.

3) Water from LFS not being perfect
- Ask the LFS to test the water before bringing it home. It is a perfectly reasonable request!

Only to one of above at once -
If you're doing more than one, there's no knowing which one did the trick.

Whenever you're in a position where you can, get yourself a test kit for nitrate and phosphate! :relieved-face: Charterhouse Aquatics sells the Salifert ones for £10..
The blinds are always closed there, it's just now coming through the side of the blind which I just cannot close!
Posting pics shortly

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Light have the ai prime hd. Been running that for past 6 months, teething problems at first as coming from stock light, but settled down.

I have previously seen references to elevated salinity leading to increased algae growth. Keep that in mind. I have no scientific base for this though; only anecdotal experience shared by others.

I did read an article on the subject once thought. I believe it was called "When algae gets salty"... or something along those lines.

OP
OP
J

Jamiem1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics to help

Attachments

• IMG20231017121208.jpg
    IMG20231017121208.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG20231017121154.jpg
    IMG20231017121154.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG20231017121138.jpg
    IMG20231017121138.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 113

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was hoping it wasn't so. You really have a sailfin tang in a 13.5? oh boy

Anyhow, I don't see much algae in your pics, nothing that would alarm me. Every tank has some amount of algae

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phos I do have, it's 0.25 according to salifert kit
Well, that might be a part of your issue mate! :relieved-face: It's a wee bit high- nothing you can't fix with decent husbandry maintenance such as routine water changes etc.

Tell us a little about your maintenance routines.. I would prioritize to make my own saltwater if I were you.

OP
OP
J

Jamiem1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anyhow, I don't see much algae in your pics, nothing that would alarm me. Every tank has some amount of algae
I have it with the intention of moving it on within 6 months, its well looked after with nori and mix of frozen, I'm well aware it won't be in that size tank for too long.

OP
OP
J

Jamiem1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that might be a part of your issue mate! :relieved-face: It's a wee bit high- nothing you can't fix with decent husbandry maintenance such as routine water changes etc.
Yep, I do weekly changes and due one tomorrow. I do fortnight activates carbon pouch changes too (the fluval pouch that come with it, I get it on subscription). Clean the wave maker with a tooth brush etc and change out the floss as and when needed

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I do weekly changes and due one tomorrow. I do fortnight activates carbon pouch changes too (the fluval pouch that come with it, I get it on subscription). Clean the wave maker with a tooth brush etc and change out the floss as and when needed
Test the water you get from your LFS before doing your water change! :) Your salinity is high, so is your phosphate. Chances are that the source of water you're using is "no good".

Don't trust your LFS on this one without testing first.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was thinking it was a sailfin blenny . Yikes a sailfin tank in a 13g is a bit no no .

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other option was for him to be flushed, so, make the choice.
.. or returned to the LFS ;) That's always an option too- decent LFS's always help out with re-homing.

Anyhow - maybe we should return to the subject here guys? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
J

Jamiem1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.. or returned to the LFS ;) That's always an option too- decent LFS's always help out with re-homing.

Anyhow - maybe we should return to the subject here guys? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Didn't get it from the LFS, it was passed on from someone who had to close his tank. It will be going to the LFS soon.

Not sure why it's gone so off topic?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back