GHA Outbreak

PBMann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently fighting an outbreak of GHA and I am looking for suggestions to combat it. My nitrates are currently high and I am doing small water changes, I can't do larger ones atm because I just had a knee replaced and can't carry the weight.

I would like to avoid chemicals so I am looking for suggestions for livestock. I have a lawnmower blenny but he doesn't seem to be interested in the GHA and I have a Two Spot Bristletooth tang coming on Thursday. I have a healthy CuC with both snails and hermits and one Red Tuxedo urchin.

Any other suggestions?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently fighting an outbreak of GHA and I am looking for suggestions to combat it. My nitrates are currently high and I am doing small water changes, I can't do larger ones atm because I just had a knee replaced and can't carry the weight.

I would like to avoid chemicals so I am looking for suggestions for livestock. I have a lawnmower blenny but he doesn't seem to be interested in the GHA and I have a Two Spot Bristletooth tang coming on Thursday. I have a healthy CuC with both snails and hermits and one Red Tuxedo urchin.

Any other suggestions?
How old is the tank and what's the parameters? Specifically nitrate and phosphate?

Do you have any coral?
Decreasing the light intensity and duration can go a long way ... MicroBacter clean and/or microbacter 7 (both are bacteria not chemicals) can help tremendously under certain circumstances but need to know more about your tank.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phosphate feeds GHA. You need a good phosphate tester, then need to understand how you add phosphate to your tank, then need to take steps to reduce adding phosphate and learning long term phosphate control.

OP
OP
P

PBMann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank and what's the parameters? Specifically nitrate and phosphate?

Do you have any coral?
Decreasing the light intensity and duration can go a long way ... MicroBacter clean and/or microbacter 7 (both are bacteria not chemicals) can help tremendously under certain circumstances but need to know more about your tank.
My tank is a little over 4 months old it is a 270L AOI.

My ammonia and nitrites are at 0, my phosphates are at 0.06 and my nitrates are at 28. I'm trying water changes to bring down my nitrates.

I have some easier corals ad have used both MicroBacter Clean and MicroBacter 7.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a little over 4 months old it is a 270L AOI.

My ammonia and nitrites are at 0, my phosphates are at 0.06 and my nitrates are at 28. I'm trying water changes to bring down my nitrates.

I have some easier corals ad have used both MicroBacter Clean and MicroBacter 7.
I think you're still seeing the results of a cycle at 4 months. After the nitrogen cycle portion is done, there are still a lot of other things that need to balance and mature. GHA can certainly and often is part of the maturity and it's not unexpected at 4 months. Your sand, rock, etc will still be releasing silicates and phosphates at this time.

You can manually remove what you can, be sure what you pull off the rock is removed from the tank and not left floating as much as possible.

I'd also dose MB clean weekly and reduce the light intensity to where the coral are still opening. They wont get great growth but will survive for the time being, you just need to give it some time.

OP
OP
P

PBMann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're still seeing the results of a cycle at 4 months. After the nitrogen cycle portion is done, there are still a lot of other things that need to balance and mature. GHA can certainly and often is part of the maturity and it's not unexpected at 4 months. Your sand, rock, etc will still be releasing silicates and phosphates at this time.

You can manually remove what you can, be sure what you pull off the rock is removed from the tank and not left floating as much as possible.

I'd also dose MB clean weekly and reduce the light intensity to where the coral are still opening. They wont get great growth but will survive for the time being, you just need to give it some time.
Thanks, I was thinking that this may be growing pains. I am pulling the GHA out of the tank every other day and discarding it. I will try to lowering the light intensity.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was thinking that this may be growing pains. I am pulling the GHA out of the tank every other day and discarding it. I will try to lowering the light intensity.
Keep up on those water changes and try to get that nitrate down a bit as well. Maybe cut feeding a bit to help.

Last edited:

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any other suggestions?
I know you’re looking to avoid chemicals, but I just had an incredible experience with flucanozole, specifically flux rx. I would highly recommend this product. Here’s a video I made for reference and you’ll see it’s reef safe:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back