GHL and Alkatronic anyone running this combo?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several Local reefers are running Alkatronics with Apex units. I was wondering if anyone was running the Alkatronic with their GHL instead of a KH Director. If Yes, how do you like the set up and do you have the two units talking to each other?

Only reason I am considering Alkatronic is the local knowledge base. These folks have ran this system. There just isn't anyone running the KH Director locally and I just am not sure I want to be the first.

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Profilux 4, Alkatronic, and Dosetronic. The Alkatronic has a BNC port to send the dKH as a pH reading to the controller, I added a PLM-pH/Redox expansion card to the Profilux to connect the Alkatronic. I had the Alkatronic previously connected to an Apex.

With the Alkatronic and Dosetronic working together, I'm not using the dKH info in the Profilux for anything other than display and charting purposes.

I think the Alkatronic is great, in a perfect world the only thing I'd change is the amount of noise it makes. It's not unbearable and my phone does not pick up the noise while I'm on conference calls, but with the tank being on the wall behind my work desk I hear it when it tests.

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great response, thank you

I had read that there was a upgrade to the Alkatronic to help quite it down. Which version unit do you have? I know they are up to V3.

I assume you use the Dosetronic to... dose your Alk and Cal supplements? You must trust it pretty well then I imagine.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i have an early batch 3. I replaced the bushings with the Ultra Silence kit and that has helped with the noise. http://www.focustronic.net/products/ultra-silence-kit-for-pump-a-and-c-as-replacement.html

There's a new firmware in the works that should quiet it down some more. It takes 12 min to test, there's varying noises between the different pumps but it's not a deal breaker for me and I'm fairly particular. Prior to adding the silence kit I'd have to turn up the volume on calls or the TV, now I don't.

I use the Dosetronic to dose ATI Essentials 3 part, I have a box of ATI Essentials Pro 2 part for when I use up the remaining 3 part. I trust it completely and typically leave ODA setting on all the time to keep the dosing schedule dialed in. Nothing crazy has happened, no missed or runaway doses,it just trucks along.

The app is good for Apple OS, not so great for Android. PC cloud site is simple and works just fine.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i have an early batch 3. I replaced the bushings with the Ultra Silence kit and that has helped with the noise. http://www.focustronic.net/products/ultra-silence-kit-for-pump-a-and-c-as-replacement.html

There's a new firmware in the works that should quiet it down some more. It takes 12 min to test, there's varying noises between the different pumps but it's not a deal breaker for me and I'm fairly particular. Prior to adding the silence kit I'd have to turn up the volume on calls or the TV, now I don't.

I use the Dosetronic to dose ATI Essentials 3 part, I have a box of ATI Essentials Pro 2 part for when I use up the remaining 3 part. I trust it completely and typically leave ODA setting on all the time to keep the dosing schedule dialed in. Nothing crazy has happened, no missed or runaway doses,it just trucks along.

The app is good for Apple OS, not so great for Android. PC cloud site is simple and works just fine.

Outstanding! Thanks very much!

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I don't really need Ca, Mg, and whatever else it has, I'll probably get a Mastertronic when it comes out. Focustronic is 2 for 2 in my experiences with their products. The Alkatronic results have matched the Salifert kit I compare it to, Ca and Mg have always been where expected based on the alk result indicating the Dosetronic is dosing equal amounts as programmed.

I like that the Alkatronic uses a simple acid titration method to determine the alk. I prefer this to proprietary reagents or discs. When I use up the rest of my Alkatronic reagent, I'll probably try one of the "homemade" reagent recipes I've seen. If it works as expected, running it would be pretty close to free with the only costs being electricity and maintenance.

billr65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several Local reefers are running Alkatronics with Apex units. I was wondering if anyone was running the Alkatronic with their GHL instead of a KH Director. If Yes, how do you like the set up and do you have the two units talking to each other?

Only reason I am considering Alkatronic is the local knowledge base. These folks have ran this system. There just isn't anyone running the KH Director locally and I just am not sure I want to be the first.
i was running the KH director and its great i love it so easy and the numbers on the money ever test

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Profilux 4, Alkatronic, and Dosetronic. The Alkatronic has a BNC port to send the dKH as a pH reading to the controller, I added a PLM-pH/Redox expansion card to the Profilux to connect the Alkatronic. I had the Alkatronic previously connected to an Apex.

With the Alkatronic and Dosetronic working together, I'm not using the dKH info in the Profilux for anything other than display and charting purposes.

I think the Alkatronic is great, in a perfect world the only thing I'd change is the amount of noise it makes. It's not unbearable and my phone does not pick up the noise while I'm on conference calls, but with the tank being on the wall behind my work desk I hear it when it tests.

Capture.PNG
If I don't use the orp/redox on the controller can I use that port for the alkatronic since I don't use the orp probe

george7523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Silver14SS, is it possible to use the alkatronics kh readings gathered via the ph port into the Profilux 4 to adjust how much alk is dosed via the ghl doser ? I already have ghl stand alone doser dosing my two part and i'd like to by a alkatronic. I actually already have kh director, but i find that terribly unreliable. thanks

mcman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Capture.PNG
Hi,
Could you explain how the Alkatronic connects to the P4 ,
It says in the manual calibrate with 7 and 10.
I think on the p4 it only gives you the choice of cal 7 and 9 , I could be wrong or does it not make any difference
Thanks

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Could you explain how the Alkatronic connects to the P4 ,
It says in the manual calibrate with 7 and 10.
I think on the p4 it only gives you the choice of cal 7 and 9 , I could be wrong or does it not make any difference
Thanks
You can calibrate a pH probe to 7 and 10.

The ProfiLux manual provides you with the supported calibration ranges for all probes. For example, this info is on page 52 of the P4 Programming Guide.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back