GHL Doser 2 WiFi Issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about at wits end with this doser and in desperate need of help before it ends up in the trash! I’ve had this doser for about 3 years and over the last three years have maintained maybe 1 month of WiFi connectivity. I almost always have to plug into the doser to do anything.

I’ll get it going by changing up the IP address but it only ever lasts for maybe a few days, and it takes forever to get an IP address to actually work.

For example, I just re-setup the doser using the following IP address: 192.168.0.237, it was working on 192.168.0.233 for about a week, then stopped. I ran a cod prompt and pinged the IP address and it responded no issues; however, if I try to establish a connection on my phone via the app, or a WiFi connection on my computer it won’t establish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m about fed up with this doser and severely regret “upgrading” over the cheaper options.

OP
OP
spartanman22

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, FYI, I’ve followed every bit of instructions I could find online to no success. I’m almost wondering if the WiFi in the unit is just garbage. The doser sits 2” from my apex and that never loses connection unless the whole home’s internet goes out.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How close or far away is your router? Do you always have good wifi connection with your other wireless devices?

OP
OP
spartanman22

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have good connection. There are some spots (farthest from the router) where connection gets slower, but where the doser is there’s good connection.

The IP address of the router is 192.168.0.19. I have not updated it. That’s another issue, in the 3 years I’ve had it I’ve never been able to get a firmware update to work. They always fail while downloading.

Let’s just say it hasn’t been a great experience with this doser.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think the first step would be to get in contact with GHL and ask them for support in order to have the updates installed.
Then you should try again with latest firmware and check if there is any change on the wifi connection after the update.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have good connection. There are some spots (farthest from the router) where connection gets slower, but where the doser is there’s good connection.

The IP address of the router is 192.168.0.19. I have not updated it. That’s another issue, in the 3 years I’ve had it I’ve never been able to get a firmware update to work. They always fail while downloading.

Let’s just say it hasn’t been a great experience with this doser.

What is your router and provider. A download of a file failing. Is not a good sign. Will talk to GHL reps at MACNA. An always post in the company forum with issues.
https://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/forumdisplay.php?3-English&langid=2

OP
OP
spartanman22

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your router and provider. A download of a file failing. Is not a good sign. Will talk to GHL reps at MACNA. An always post in the company forum with issues.
https://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/forumdisplay.php?3-English&langid=2

The router I believe is Asis? Sorry I’m not at home right now. I have xfinity and was renting a router from them, but after a couple years decided I’d be better off just buying one. This was what xfinity recommended to me. I can get the exact info when I get home. I’ll try the firmware update again and get the exact error code it gives me.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Example the GHL connect app only works with the latest firmware.

The reason you are connecting to your router is?
As you can use the internal WiFi hot spot of the doser to control your doser SA.
only reason would be myGHL.
thou Indo not recommend adjusting a dosing schedule without testing regularly.

OP
OP
spartanman22

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Example the GHL connect app only works with the latest firmware.

The reason you are connecting to your router is?
As you can use the internal WiFi hot spot of the doser to control your doser SA.
only reason would be myGHL.
thou Indo not recommend adjusting a dosing schedule without testing regularly.

I have not tried using the new ghl app. Was still using the old one. Not sure what you mean about internal WiFi hotspot? I have been using the WiFi setup prompt in the “system” tab. Selecting my WiFi network, security key and security type. Used cmd ipconfig prompt to see my subnet mask and default gateway and then designated an IP address of 192.168.0.237. I then ran a ping and it worked fine, but wouldn’t work when setting up the app connection.

I have myGHL disabled in the systems tab because it states that you cannot use myGHL and the wireless connection at the same time.

I do test regularly which is why I need to adjust. Test Alk about every other day and calcium 1-2x a week. Demand has been steadily increasing. Thus the need to adjust the doser.

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same problem with my 2.1 doser for almost 1 year now. It doses the correct mount everyday but loses wifi connectivity constantly. I have to hook up the USB cord to check settings, change them, or if I want to refill dosing containers. The App will not stay connected to my iphone unless I go in with USB cord and update info, very frustrating !!

OP
OP
spartanman22

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same problem with my 2.1 doser for almost 1 year now. It doses the correct mount everyday but loses wifi connectivity constantly. I have to hook up the USB cord to check settings, change them, or if I want to refill dosing containers. The App will not stay connected to my iphone unless I go in with USB cord and update info, very frustrating !!

It is very frustrating. I bought this Doser specifically for that function. I know many people have great experiences with it, but mine has not been good. I would not purchase a ghl doser again today if I was in the market.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Doser SA has built in WiFi so you can control the doser from the app on a phone or tablet.
If you are connecting it to an exsisting wifi router you need to do a static IP setup.

OP
OP
spartanman22

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the built in WiFi I would just go on my device’s (iPhone or tablet) WiFi settings and search for the ghl’s network?

The video you posted is how I have gotten the connection to work before, but it never lasts more than a few days. It will take multiple tries to get an IP address to work, and even then I’ve had it ping successfully but then not actually work when I try to connect.

OP
OP
spartanman22

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m suspecting that the WiFi component of the doser may be faulty. Recently, when searching nearby networks, the doser is not able to find any nearby networks, whereas my phone will show 4-6 available networks within range. The doser’s list is just blank.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if you just search for the wifi hotspot you will see a GHL will show up as a wifi network. If you have the wifi pointing to your wifi router you will not see a wifi connection in your phones wifi list.

OP
OP
spartanman22

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if you just search for the wifi hotspot you will see a GHL will show up as a wifi network. If you have the wifi pointing to your wifi router you will not see a wifi connection in your phones wifi list.

Ok, so I’ll need to disconnect my devices connection to my router before the GHL will display as an available network?

debees5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you don’t see the Doser on available networks anymore? I have two and use the second one as a slave. I couldn’t find it on available networks yesterday so I connected via USB to ‘refill containers’. I still can’t find the built in hotspot. I’d rather not do a reset cuz I don’t want to have to rebuild everything....

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To use the hotspot of the Doser you need to go into your wifi setting of your phone and search for available Wifi spots you should see the GHL doser show up as a Wifi connection. If you don't you will need to unplug the power to the Doser and after a few seconds plug the power back into the doser. It will then reset the unit and the wifi will be available.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you don’t see the Doser on available networks anymore? I have two and use the second one as a slave. I couldn’t find it on available networks yesterday so I connected via USB to ‘refill containers’. I still can’t find the built in hotspot. I’d rather not do a reset cuz I don’t want to have to rebuild everything....

@debees5 : Sorry to hear of your trouble. Depending on how long since last update, you may want to download the latest GCC (https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/ghl-control-center-v1-1-2-3/), perform a settings backup, then update the Firmware on both the Standalone Master, and your Slave.
Standalone:

PAB Update(Slave)

Additionally, I'd place the unit onto your WiFi or Wired network, and connect to MyGHL - If that is compatible with your usage, setup and believe in connected devices.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back