GHL Flow Meter: Found Alternative Adapters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GHL 9000 l/h flow meter and I'm trying to attach the 25mm threads to my 1" plumbing.
They offer adapters through Royal Exclusive, but the adapters are 25mm thread to 3/4" slip.
This creates a point of restriction, and probably turbulence within the flow meter.
Instead, I want to either go straight to 1" or upsize and then back down to 1".

So i purchased this item...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282069022278?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

s-l500.jpg

You can't see it in the pic, but the threads go almost all the way through, and the other end is beveled, both inside and out.
This is a bushing that is meant to go INSIDE Imperial (USA) pvc pipe.
I looked high and low, but ebay was the only place I was able to find something like this. But they are an A+ seller. Quick to ship and respond quickly to questions. Took a bit over a week to receive.
Maybe someone else will have better luck finding a regular online store to order from, but for now this is an option.
The biggest hurdle is that the flow meter uses STRAIGHT British Threads, not Tapered. Straight are much harder to find.

So anyway, all I had to pick up from Home Depot was a 1.5" Coupling, and a 1.5" to 1" reducer bushing.
(x2 of course, for each end of the flow meter)

i-4pdXv5m-L.jpg

I have not actually installed this yet, but the result should be smooth(er), unrestricted flow. :)
The inside diameter of the flow meter is just a hair under the I.D. of 1" pipe so it should make zero noticeable difference.

Hopefully this helps others who have struggled with the same thing.

I'm going to install this weekend and will report back, but I don't foresee any issues.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GHL 9000 l/h flow meter and I'm trying to attach the 25mm threads to my 1" plumbing.
They offer adapters through Royal Exclusive, but the adapters are 25mm thread to 3/4" slip.
This creates a point of restriction, and probably turbulence within the flow meter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282069022278?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

s-l500.jpg

You can't see it in the pic, but the threads go almost all the way through, and the other end is beveled, both inside and out.
I looked high and low, but ebay was the only place I was able to find something like this. But they are an A+ seller. Quick to ship and respond quickly to questions. Took a bit over a week to receive.
Maybe someone else will have better luck finding a regular online store to order from, but for now this is an option.
The biggest hurdle is that the flow meter uses STRAIGHT British Threads, not Tapered. Straight are much harder to find.

So anyway, all I had to pick up from Home Depot was a 1.5" Coupling, and a 1.5" to 1" reducer bushing.

i-4pdXv5m-L.jpg

I have not actually installed this yet, but the result should be smooth(er), unrestricted flow. :)
The inside diameter of the flow meter is just a hair under the I.D. of 1" pipe so it should make zero noticeable difference.

I'm going to install this weekend and will report back, but I don't foresee any issues.
Thanks man.
I am soon going to be purchasing a meter.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is installed. It took up my entire run of horizontal pipe.
Not including the unions i put on each end, it's 9.5" long, but that's because the couplings are so long.
The adaptors could have slipped into an elbow, tee, etc... as long as it's a 1.5" fitting.

And the flow reading is much more stable than before. Before the readings were jumping all over the place. Now it's much more steady and fluctuates only around 10-20 l/h.
I did have it on the return previously and now it's on the drain, so it's possible that is making a difference too. Hard to say.

i-ZN4cPXH.jpg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you measuring the flow coming from the return pump and out the returns?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you measuring the flow coming from the return pump and out the returns?
Opposite. I'm measuring the flow coming down the return into the sump.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen those here in the states, but that would be cool if they are available somewhere and you are using flexible tubing. :)

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

s-l500.jpg

i-4pdXv5m-L.jpg

Has anyone had any luck finding these bushing here in the US?

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post. Ut how are the flow metters working for you all? Any issues with them over the years?

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thanks. Just did a search and will start reviewing them.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s not much to say about them, they do exactly as described, I have mine set upto trigger my alarm if flow drops to zero. in Europe you can now buy the correct fittings direct from Ghl which makes things easier, i assume u can do that in the US as well.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine are working well as well. The straighter the section of pipe you place them the more steady they read.

How would I go about connecting the 9000l/h to 11/4 inch? I want to add one onto my return line and that’s the output.. unless I downscale then upscale again

Edit:..

Says 11/4.. right? (In picture )

The sensor itself is a 1" pipe with almost 1 1/4" threads, but the threading doesn't line up correctly for US fittings. Reducing to 3/4" is not ideal, but isn't too bad of a limitation.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I go about connecting the 9000l/h to 11/4 inch? I want to add one onto my return line and that’s the output.. unless I downscale then upscale again

I was just reading this thread. I'd doesnt have all the details but you can made a "bypass"...

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't even try connecting it directly because the threading is not a US (Imperial) standard, it is a metric threading pitch. Once you buy the adapter from GHL you will have a standard 3/4" pipe fitting. At that point you can reduce down from your 1-1/4" pipe down to 3/4" and back up again on the other side. It's not going to make any difference to your flow rate because the water velocity will increase and then decrease back to normal as it goes through the flow meter. Yes Flow Rate and Flow Velocity are two different things. Your Flow rate will not change going through the 3/4" pipe unless your pump is already dealing with too much head pressure (which I doubt). Also remember this is a flow meter for GHP or LPH and Not a Velocity meter, so the reading will be unchanged and still accurate.

I know this is very confusing subject for some people but think of it this way.
If a River is 20ft wide and then narrows down to 10ft and then 50ft down river it goes back to being 20ft wide is there any difference in the volume of water passing the first 20ft wide stretch versus the last 20ft wide stretch? No! The water simply picked up speed in the 10ft wide section and then goes back to it's original speed when it gets to the second 20ft wide section. Same thing with the pipe, the amount of GPH will not change at the end of the fitting unless the pump cannot support the slight increase in head pressure.

If your still thinking that it's going to make a difference, then I cannot change your mind but I will say that it makes no difference one way or the other in this case, because the inside tube of the flow meter is about the same diameter as 3/4" PVC. So any way you do it your going through a 3/4" pipe at some point.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This site has a good selection of metric to std fittings Flexpvc.com edit: Reef supplies fall short when it comes to metric fittings.
1577629392907.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back