GHL shipping delays

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was notified a week or so ago the Ion Director deliveries will be delayed.
Notified how? I was told by Vinny on Friday that they would be delivered on time. Evidently Vinny did not know about this problem or maybe they are still delivering on time.

U

User1

View Badges
That’s ok it allows them a little more time to get the software perfect.

What makes you think it isn't already or that it needs more time? Software is typically updated so I guess I see the direction you are coming from. Still, not sure this is really a factor here.

I'd be more curious as to what the delay is due to if I put down a deposit. I understand and see several logistics issues due to the virus but does it really affect this supply chain?

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think it isn't already or that it needs more time? Software is typically updated so I guess I see the direction you are coming from. Still, not sure this is really a factor here.

I'd be more curious as to what the delay is due to if I put down a deposit. I understand and see several logistics issues due to the virus but does it really affect this supply chain?

From the post I read, they are waiting on something like 3 different parts from China to finish the production run on the ION Directors.

U

User1

View Badges
From the post I read, they are waiting on something like 3 different parts from China to finish the production run on the ION Directors.

Yeah - that is what I was assuming but not really sure. I do not recall the product being produced or having parts sourced from there. Just goes to show my ignorance I guess :D

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - that is what I was assuming but not really sure. I do not recall the product being produced or having parts sourced from there. Just goes to show my ignorance I guess :D

Almost all PCBs are made in China... it’s just crazy cheap due to the production scale. I can get custom PCBs at $2 for 1, or under 75 cents once I order 50 :)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all PCBs are made in China... it’s just crazy cheap due to the production scale. I can get custom PCBs at $2 for 1, or under 75 cents once I order 50 :)

The hold up cannot be the PCB unless GHL is willing to hold up production over a few dollars. There are plenty of PCB companies in the USA and in the EU that can make the boards fast for just a few dollars more. They will also pick and place the parts for you.

I don't know if it's the Case" for the unit and dosing pumps that are the issue or possibly the probe itself that is made in China. My guess is that it is the cases that are fabricated in China and they cannot get them done in the EU for a reasonable price.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I work in logistics (mainly CN/HK to US) and can confirm that the issue is real.

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notified how? I was told by Vinny on Friday that they would be delivered on time. Evidently Vinny did not know about this problem or maybe they are still delivering on time.

I order mine through Reeefbum and Keith sent out an email on the 12th say there were delays.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is my understanding that GHL makes their PCBs in house. Their material source though.... same as everyone else's.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It is my understanding that GHL makes their PCBs in house. Their material source though.... same as everyone else's.

That was my understanding as well, there were videos covering it on YT

Gribbliest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of where the PCB's are assembled, or the unit is assembled, there are very few electronic devices out there that don't have components not sourced from China.

Covid-19 is clearly impacting supply chain, and of course it's come right on the back of Chinese New Year - which already leads to supply chain shortages at the beginning of the year!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back