Ghost over flow options?

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently building a 180 gallon tank. I’m looking for a good ghost overflow for a sps tank. I’m looking for something to drill into the tank. This is what I was told to use by one user a few months back. But I wanna see if there others out there.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Was thinking about EMS one as well. I like their design more than MM, Synergy Reef and Shadow

Cal_stir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 2 1600 gph units so I would have 1 inch piping
1570657174443.png

OP
OP
Jvesche20

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cal_stir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take a couple pics later today, I painted the back and sides of the tank black and the overflows are barely noticeable.
My tank is 7 ft long and I was worried about not getting good surface skimming at the ends of the tank, plus I thought 2 smaller ones would be quieter than 1 large one, I have no regrets.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a number of threads over the last couple of years on these overflows - suggest you read them. Three years ago, when I was looking for an overflow for a large tank, I looked at all of the available options. One of my key design principles was for a single, larger overflow. This dropped a number of the more ‘common’ vendors off the list. I also wanted an overflow where the external box was at the same height as the internal box - as you approach the max flow of an overflow, those with dropped rear boxes are almost impossible to keep quiet. This dropped other vendors off my list. I also wanted some customization. More drops!

I ended up with two vendors left - modular marine and EMS. Ultimately I went with MM, though I have also worked with EMS and would not hesitate to recommend either. I have a slight preference for MM as I like the fit and finish a bit better.

I bought the 32” 3,600 GPH model with a full length external box. It works exactly as advertised on my 450.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I look at their store it is out of stock.

This is because the only way to get the Ghost overflow from Reef Savvy is to order a custom tank from either them, or Miracles Aquariums. You can not order them separately.

As for low profile external overflows (Ghost overflow is not the type of overflow it's a particular brands name, little pet peeve of mine), Exotic Marine Systems, Modular Marine or Fiji Cube are all solid options.

Last edited:

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the modular marine overflows. I like the fact that the outside box is at the same height as the inside box.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently building a 180 gallon tank. I’m looking for a good ghost overflow for a sps tank. I’m looking for something to drill into the tank. This is what I was told to use by one user a few months back. But I wanna see if there others out there.
This is your best option, by far.

Go for it, you won’t regret it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back