Ghost Overflow Question

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been racking my brain trying to fix a flow issue and I think the answer is...a new overflow.

The situation: Overflow came with custom tank builder that recently went out of business. I am very happy with the tank, but I think the overflow is botched.

130ish gallon 4ft tank, sump directly below tank. Beananimal 1” drains. Though there are 6” sections of 1.5” directly off the overflow.

In order to keep display level where I want it with a Varios8 at 3rd setting. I have to close the main drain down to the point where the open channel is stressed and noisy.

I have played with it for days and come up with two solutions.

1. I have to the display level about an inch lower than I want.

2. I have to make the open channel input so high in the overflow that the emergency drain is very close to the top of the overflow box. Too close.

My theory is that the weirs on the interior box are cut too low. There are effectively two rows of weirs and which I think is pointless and causing the issue.

So I think I am in the market for a new box. Specifically the module marine box.

Hoping for some reinforcing opinions that I am on the right track here.

best photo I have. You can see the light coming through the lower weir row:

23A6121D-CDC6-4D27-BEFC-FA88785F6065.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been racking my brain trying to fix a flow issue and I think the answer is...a new overflow.

The situation: Overflow came with custom tank builder that recently went out of business. I am very happy with the tank, but I think the overflow is botched.

130ish gallon 4ft tank, sump directly below tank. Beananimal 1” drains. Though there are 6” sections of 1.5” directly off the overflow.

In order to keep display level where I want it with a Varios8 at 3rd setting. I have to close the main drain down to the point where the open channel is stressed and noisy.

I have played with it for days and come up with two solutions.

1. I have to the display level about an inch lower than I want.

2. I have to make the open channel input so high in the overflow that the emergency drain is very close to the top of the overflow box. Too close.

My theory is that the weirs on the interior box are cut too low. There are effectively two rows of weirs and which I think is pointless and causing the issue.

So I think I am in the market for a new box. Specifically the module marine box.

Hoping for some reinforcing opinions that I am on the right track here.

best photo I have. You can see the light coming through the lower weir row:

23A6121D-CDC6-4D27-BEFC-FA88785F6065.jpeg

@Conor_K - it's hard to see in the picture but thanks for sharing.

Something you can try is to run a test on your present overflow. Get yourself a piece of plexi and a couple teflon bolts and nuts. Cut the plexi to the proper width of your overflow and drill a hole on either end, near the top of the plexi, so that the holes line up with the teeth in your weir. Run the teflon bolts through the teeth of your weir and then through the holes on the plexi. Then screw the teflon nuts on to the bolts. Now you have a "flow block" that you can adjust up and down to test if reducing the flow will solve your problem. I hope this all makes sense to you.

This is simply a suggestion to try before going through the hassle of buying a new weir and attaching it only to find out it doesn't solve your problem. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Conor_K

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea.
Have to believe one of the pros here can verify for me, but if not, I’ll definitely try this out.

Thanks,
C

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing to look for is an external box that sits at the same level/height as the internal skim box. When the external box is dropped down it creates all sorts of noise issues. I use a 36” MM unit and have been very pleased with it.

OP
OP
Conor_K

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing to look for is an external box that sits at the same level/height as the internal skim box. When the external box is dropped down it creates all sorts of noise issues. I use a 36” MM unit and have been very pleased with it.

oh I know you do sir. I should of stuck with my gut and got one from the start. But the tank manufacturer’s looked similar and I figured why not get everything at once.

just noticed today that the box I got and the box pictured on the now closed manufacturer’s site are nowhere close to the same.

The boxes are level but the lower weir point is 3-4” below the top of the tank. It’s a faulty design for sure.

$250 dollar mistake that MM will be happy to fix for me undoubtedly.

Ah well...

Back