Can I increase my overflow by adding a second siphon tube

Mike7744

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I add a second u-Tube to my overflow. Can I increase the gallons per hour?
Mine is in E shops overflow rated for a 75gal aquarium i think its 700 gallons per hour. But I think I am barely seeing that and the weir section is full to the top when it's running.
20240407_160149.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you added another would the size of the overflow keep up? My thoughts would be loss of suction for both.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add another u-tube but i am not sure why you want one? If the return pump remains the same size, then the flow through each will be half of what was flowing through the single. Moreover, the velocity will be half and this may allow the siphon to break more easily.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend it. The single down pipe will be the limiting factor. And as bean stated there would be no gain. I added larger tubes to my hobs and had a heck of time trying to get the bubble out of the tube. If you need more flow add power heads. JMO I don't even worry about gph.

OP
OP
Mike7744

Mike7744

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add another u-tube but i am not sure why you want one? If the return pump remains the same size, then the flow through each will be half of what was flowing through the single. Moreover, the velocity will be half and this may allow the siphon to break more easily.
I have a DC pump, I'm using 60% of flow. So just saying could I turn up the flow with 2 tunes and have the overflow handle it?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DC pump, I'm using 60% of flow. So just saying could I turn up the flow with 2 tunes and have the overflow handle it?
If the current tube cannot handle the flow, then yes adding a second would allow it took up it’s the pump.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s already been mentioned but I feel like it’s worth repeating. Adding an extra U-Tube is probably not a good idea. Those U-Tubes rely on flow to carry any bubbles that enter them down and out the other end. If you add a second tube and can’t greatly increase your overall flow then bubbles may collect in the drain tube and eventually break siphon.
Plus if you try to increase your overall flow rate you are possibly going to make the drain very loud. If you increase the flow to where the drain creates a full siphon then breaks siphon you will get a repeating toilet flushing kinda sound.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back