Ghost Skimmer issues?

ykz_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the desktop version of the IM ghost skimmer. I'm having problems with it not producing much skimmate and that tea colored water that everyone looks for and I was wondering if anyone has a solution. Normally, the water in my collection cup is barely tinted. It's located in my second compartment of my Nuvo 20, so the water level stays consistent at all times. I've opened up my air valve all the way and half way as well to see if it'd make a difference and I still can't seem to get it right. I've also raised and lowered the collection cup to try to get better results and still no good skimmate. Here's some pictures of its current placement and position. Any thoughts?

20170410_150747.jpg

20170410_150756.jpg

20170410_150809.jpg

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is the skimmer? Also how big is your bioload? If there is nothing to skim out of the water you won't get much of anything. I don't have any experience with the ghost skimmer I went a different route with my IM tank

OP
OP
Y

ykz_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 clownfish, 2 snails, and 20 different corals in there currently. The skimmer has been running for about 3 weeks now? I feed my fish once every other day. Just curious, what skimmer are you using for your IM?

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 clownfish, 2 snails, and 20 different corals in there currently. The skimmer has been running for about 3 weeks now? I feed my fish once every other day. Just curious, what skimmer are you using for your IM?
I am using the Tunze 9004 dc skimmer and absolutely love it pulls out great dark skim. The only bad part is it will only fit in the first chamber so you have to go with out one filter sock. But I'm ok with that. I almost bought the ghost skimmer but read alot of negative reviews on R2R. With micro bubbles and haveing a hard time to get good skimate. IMO I think only having 1 fish is not that much bioload l. your corals are not producing much of any skim.

OP
OP
Y

ykz_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was highly debating about switching to the tunze also cause I've heard good things about it. I had some microbubbles on the ghost for about a week but it went away after it broke in. Do you have the nuvo 20 as well? Cause one of my first compartment is practically empty. If it's because of my small bioload, then that's great news. I just hope that's the case!

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you have the Nuvo 20 just saw that now. I have the nuvo40 so you would want to check to see if it will fit or not. I saw all the bad reviews in the ghost and couldn't find a bad thing about the Tunze plus if you get the no controllable one i believe it's cheaper then the ghost but I was looking at the midsize one. If the 9004 don't fit then I would look at the 9001 that might fit. With the controler it makes it so easy to set it were you want the bubbles to be. I am running my at about 35 percent and works awesome. Plus the design is great were the intake is on the top so it pulls that nasty oily film off the top of the water. I do think that you don't have a big enough bioload for the skimmer to be pulling out much of anything and if your do a w/c once a week then there is definitely nothing to skim out.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those skimmer suck I have the same one on my 40 nuvo ... don't skim anything
So I take it your having problems with yours as well? I am so happy did didn't but that For my nuvo40. You should sell it and get the 9004.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM skimmers are the worst, consider upgrading to another skimmer the tunze skimmer looks good.

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull pretty good skimmate on my Lagoon 50 using a ghost skimmer. I keep the air valve all the way open and run the collection cup height about even with the back chamber divider. With only one fish and feeding every other day, there's probably nothing for the skimmer to remove

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM30L and use the midsize ghost. I have a royal gramma, purple firefish, flame tail blenny, and a clown hosting a bubble tip and 3 mini maxi carpets. Lots of snails and crabs. Feed well everyday mysis and a pinch of pellets. Skimmer produces as it should with air wide open and cup even w back wall of the tank. 0 nitrates, 0 phosphates always using API tests whenever I remember.
8d3b0979b654c10fd1723f9ea742250a.jpg

OP
OP
Y

ykz_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response guys. I'll highly consider the tunze skimmers if my ghost continues to pull nothing. I notice it foams up a decent amount and I do notice a small dark goop on the collection cup, but no dark tea water yet. Then again, you guys may be right due to my small bioload. I'll add some more fish eventually and I'll continue to test the IM ghost out in the mean time. My collection cup seems to be a little higher than you guys by it being 1/2" to 1" above the back wall. I'll try keeping it flush when I feed more frequently and add another fish or two.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response guys. I'll highly consider the tunze skimmers if my ghost continues to pull nothing. I notice it foams up a decent amount and I do notice a small dark goop on the collection cup, but no dark tea water yet. Then again, you guys may be right due to my small bioload. I'll add some more fish eventually and I'll continue to test the IM ghost out in the mean time. My collection cup seems to be a little higher than you guys by it being 1/2" to 1" above the back wall. I'll try keeping it flush when I feed more frequently and add another fish or two.
Definitely keep trying it out. Then if your still haveing problems down the road then look into different skimmers. You just don't want to spend the money on a skimmer to give up on it that quick.
Good luck

OP
OP
Y

ykz_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I've added a ton more livestock and have been feeding more to see if the skimmer will produce the color skimmate I want and so far the color definitely got darker. And there's that nasty gunk around the collection cup. The water isn't as dark as all the other skimmers I see but it's not doing a bad job!

20170603_211240.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back