GIANT hermit crab a killer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joroboto
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Joroboto

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2012
Messages
20
Reaction score
9
Location
Norman, OK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a giant hermit crab(Petrochirus diogenes ) a while back and initially loved him because he's so active. However, I came home the other day to find him chewing on my scooter blenny. My question is for people that have actually had a giant hermit crab. Have you ever had any problems with them being aggressive towards bottom dwelling fish? I can't confirm if the blenny was alive or dead when the snacking started. He also only chewed off the fish's fins and left the corpse.
Petroc_diogen.jpg
 
I googled the scientific name, his picture does look like the others, and it is a marine hermit.
 
I had something very similar many years ago and the one I had would kill and eat anything it could get it's claws on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new