Giant Planaria on New Coral??

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled my new coral (from LFS) out of the bag and there is a giant planaria flat worm on it! Kinda icked out right now :( It was very big, I don't know how I didn't notice it before!

Coral is a GSP, I got two other corals from different tanks. I just dipped all of them in coral RX for 10 minutes and it's not on the coral anymore.

What do I do?? I really want to keep the corals but I don't know what the best decision is here.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hate to say this but unless you have a dedicated QT for your corals, you will end up with pests at some point.

It's the nasty downside of the hobby.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just pulled my new coral (from LFS) out of the bag and there is a giant planaria flat worm on it! Kinda icked out right now :( It was very big, I don't know how I didn't notice it before!

Coral is a GSP, I got two other corals from different tanks. I just dipped all of them in coral RX for 10 minutes and it's not on the coral anymore.

What do I do?? I really want to keep the corals but I don't know what the best decision is here.
Please post a pic of flatworm to identify it is indeed planaria . Polyclad generally on GSP and neither would do much harm to GSP but will lay eggs if fertile and cause issues

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah :( It has eggs on it, I can scrape the eggs off or just toss the coral. I haven't decided. I need a QT tank for sure, sadly the extra I had I'm using for my white tail (just recently came in and under observation).
Please post a pic of flatworm to identify it is indeed planaria . Polyclad generally on GSP and neither would do much harm to GSP but will lay eggs if fertile and cause issues
I wish I got a pic, I threw that thing in the dip I was so freaked out. It definitely looked like a polyclad, like giant and spread across the diameter of the GSP. Brown body. Like 1/4th an inch wide or 1/3rd an inch. I can take pics of the eggs on it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah :( It has eggs on it, I can scrape the eggs off or just toss the coral. I haven't decided. I need a QT tank for sure, sadly the extra I had I'm using for my white tail (just recently came in and under observation).

I wish I got a pic, I threw that thing in the dip I was so freaked out. It definitely looked like a polyclad, like giant and spread across the diameter of the GSP. Brown body. Like 1/4th an inch wide or 1/3rd an inch. I can take pics of the eggs on it.
Scraping off should work

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys my next fish is def gonna be a wrasse :( I'm like so terrified of these tiny worms I don't know why.

I found some more worms in the salt water rinse post-dipping. So I scraped off the eggs and threw it in the dip to sit for another 10 minutes.

Should I premptively flat worm exit my tank??

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its gsp ,throw the gsp out lol and ask someone for a free frag
You're probably right, but I've cleaned it off and checked it over like crazy, not on a rock so I could really get under it. It's clean now for sure, more worried about the more expensive corals that I got out of different tanks tbh. If they have it in one tank it's likely in all of them :(

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back