Giesemann Spectra T5 ballast issue?

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72" Giesemann Spectra with a front bank of T5s that have stopped turning on. This occurred yesterday when I changed the bulbs. Initially all four bulbs turned on. I'm using 3 blue plus and one purple bulb and wanted to see how the purple bulb would look in a different position. After changing the bulb, the front bank would no longer turn on. When playing with the bulbs at times they start to light at one end but don't fire on. I've tried using the old bulbs and reconfiguring the bulbs multiple times and still no success.

I'm considering if it could be the connector or the ballast. Not sure how I can diagnose this. I've emailed giesemann and coralvue and am waiting to hear back. I am wondering if anyone else has experience with this problem or has changed the ballasts in this fixture? @jda I saw you reply to another thread, not sure if you have dealt with this problem?

BW5A6211.jpg
IMG_4402.jpeg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds more a socket/wiring issue than a ballast but ????

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you unplug/ switch off and on the module after changing to working bulbs? The end of life ballast protection needs unplugging or powering off the light to be reset. Even if one t5 is faulty it will kick in the ballast protection and no bulb will turn on. It happened to me when I installed a new purple plus which was faulty. It needs resetting by taking it off the power.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, I was thinking it was a socket issue intially as the bulb didn't seem to be sitting quite right. But the bulb seems to be sitting correctly now. I inspected the contacts on the socket and they look good just looking at them. Not sure how to differentiate.

Did you unplug/ switch off and on the module after changing to working bulbs? The end of life ballast protection needs unplugging or powering off the light to be reset. Even if one t5 is faulty it will kick in the ballast protection and no bulb will turn on. It happened to me when I installed a new purple plus which was faulty. It needs resetting by taking it off the power.

No, I haven't tried that yet. I'll give that a shot after work today. I simply turned off using the apex. I'll try physically unplugging. I will try to get two new bulbs as well just in case that's contributing.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you unplug/ switch off and on the module after changing to working bulbs?

I tried unplugging and no success. I picked up two new bulbs still initially no success. But when I toggle the second bulb both bulbs now come on. Stayed on for 15 minutes and then back out. I toggled again and fired right back up. We'll see how long this lasts, can't be a long term solution.

I'm not an electrical / lighting expert, but does that rule out a bad ballast? It's the second light socket, and it seems to be a contact issue since when I slightly put pressure to rotate the bulbs fire on. I assume it's because I'm improving whatever the contact issue is. Appreciate the thoughts.

IMG_4406.jpeg

KJAhp098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced the T5s in my Spectra a couple days ago and had the same problem, but after rotating the bulbs each way a couple times, they all eventually fired up.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced the T5s in my Spectra a couple days ago and had the same problem, but after rotating the bulbs each way a couple times, they all eventually fired up.

Thanks, you left the bulb in place and rotated it forward a couple times and backward a couple times and that seemed to resolve it for you? Or did you switch bulb around or flip the orientation of the bulb?

I appreciate the clarification.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light worked today without any issues. Giesemann replied that most likely it was the bulbs or the sockets (lamp holders).

They sent me a link to purchase new sockets. Happy that things are working now.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back